Playbar sound stops after a few seconds on TV Source, reselecting the source on the TV fixes it

• 29 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum.  My problem started after the software update from Sonos.  I have checked for updates on my TV and it is up to date.  I’ve tried power cycling all the devices, rebooted the router, also even changed my router and the problem still persists.  So when I turn on the TV, I get sound as normal for a few seconds and then it just goes silent.  If I select a different input on my TV and then go back to my ‘cable’ input, the sound comes back.  I only have to do this the first time every time I turn on the TV.  It’s pretty annoying having invested so much into my Sonos system and its doing this now when it never did it before.  I spoke with Technical Support who was able to capture some diagnostics.  The TV model is a Sony XBR65X900F.  I do have the 5.1 setup and the sound disappears on all the speakers in ‘living room’ group.  Everything is on S2 as well.  The router I’m using is a Linksys WRT1900AC. 

I do have a case # with Sonos support if a support rep wants to look into the issue. 

I should add that when I’m playing music from my music library or streaming, I don’t have any issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sometimes, tv and cable boxes will download an update in the background, without you knowing. But, have you checked whether there are any updates for both units, as well as the Sonos gear? The need to select a different tv input suggests it may be tv/cable box where the problem lies. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sometimes, tv and cable boxes will download an update in the background, without you knowing. But, have you checked whether there are any updates for both units, as well as the Sonos gear? The need to select a different tv input suggests it may be tv/cable box where the problem lies. 

I’ve checked for updates on the android box im using for IPTV and there are none.  It was working perfectly fine before the Sonos update and there was never an update for that since the Sonos update.  I’ve tried changing the optical cable too and still same issue.  If I unplug the optical cable from the Playbar when this issue happens there is a signal going to the playbar as I can see it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Just a wild thought, but try toggling off and then on the TV Autoconnect option for the Playbar. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a wild thought, but try toggling off and then on the TV Autoconnect option for the Playbar. 

I just tried that with the tv on but the sound didn’t come back. So then I left the auto play disabled and turned the tv off and then back on and switched the source to tv and it worked.  Next I enabled auto play again and tried it again and it seems to be fine so far. Will report back tomorrow.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The problem still persists.  I know it has to be an issue with the play bar.  I have tried another sound bar (Bose) that uses optical and it was working as soon as I plugged in the optical cable.