Play:1 stopped working

• 1 November 2020
  • 6 replies

I have three Sonos speakers all paired. One has stopped playing. Other two are fine. I have unplugged and the plugged back in. This speaker is probably 6 years old or even older, I am not exactly sure when I got them. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @timr2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out and starting with some basic troubleshooting steps. I understand your situation. Let me help out.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand what is going on and how to proceed.

• Can you give a brief description of what the issue is?
  • What Works and what doesn’t work? 
  • When you mentioned stopped working, can you give a little more detail on what stopped working?
  • What is the light status on your (not working Sonos Speaker)?
  • If all your 3 Sonos speakers are of the same model, Can we switch power cable and see if the issue stays on the speaker or follows the power cable?
  • Can we submit a diagnostic after 2-3 minutes of the issue re-occurring so we can check what is going on?

The more information you provide, the more we can have a better understanding of what is going on and how to proceed. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

You can’t have three speakers paired. You can have three speakers grouped, though. There could be a stereo pair grouped with a third speaker, or all three speakers could be set up as three separate ‘rooms’ in your system, and the grouped. 

What kind of speaker is the one not playing? You tagged a Sonos One, but indicate that the speaker is around 6 years old, long before the Sonos One came out. Is it perhaps a PLAY:1 instead?

When you plug it in, is there an LED showing on the top of the speaker? If so, what happens if you plug it in to your router with an Ethernet cable?

Some of my questions match Paul A’s above. And when he says submit a system diagnostic, there’s a link on how to do so, in case you were unaware how.

Yes they are located in 3 separate rooms and grouped.  Now 2 of the 3 do not play. Like I said they were fine and then just stopped. The 2 that do not play are Play:1 speakers that are at least 5 years old. The third speaker was just purchased this spring and is Play 3. The LED light is on for both speakers. 

So, first thing, try a network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Only when the router comes back up should you plug the Sonos devices back in. 

If that doesn’t resolve things, try connecting one of your devices to your router with an Ethernet cable, and wait a couple of minutes to see if they all show up. 

Finally, if neither solution works, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Thank you for the advice. System is now working 100%.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @timr2.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I’m glad that everything is now working. Congratulations and I do hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos. If it is too much to ask, can you please share some details on what was done to get the system working? We would be glad to know what was the solution so other members of the community who might have the same issue as yours may find this thread helpful and give it a try.

If you still have any other issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic so we can help you out.

Thanks,