Skip to main content

I would like to add speakers to a gazebo.  If i put the amp in the house and run speaker wire to the gazebo (we have an unused conduit already in place), it will be at least 150 feet of speaker wire, probably closer to 200.  Obviously, I’m concerned about power loss over that length of run.  

So, I’m wondering about two other options:

1. Put a connect in the house and run RCA, digital coax, or toslink digital to an outdoor rated amp mounted in the gazebo.  If this is the better route to go, which of those 3 connection types would be the best option?  And does anyone have recommendations for a good outdoor amplifier?
  2. Go ahead and mount a Connect Amp in the gazebo.  It would be under a roof and wouldn’t be at risk of direct water contact, but it could get warm and over the winter it will be exposed to cool, but high relative humidity.  Although, I could easily disconnect it and bring it indoors in the fall.  Still, question is whether I would be sentencing a Connect Amp to a very premature death or worse, created a fire hazard, by doing this?

Your advice is highly appreciated. 

First off, the Connect Amp  is long gone, Sonos now sells the “Sonos Amp”.  As well Connect is now Port.

The obvious question is, what audio do you intend to play at the gazebo, and do you have an internet connection out there? Do you have powerIf you don’t have a WiFi signal at the gazebo, you will have zero control over the audio you play, which would need to originate from the house. Do you plan on having a TV out there?

If there answer is no, then maybe you want to look into getting a Move 2 (just annouced) or a Roam...or a pair of either option.   You can just bring out the speakers and use them over bluetooth at the Gazebo, and use them over WiFi in the house.

If  you do have WiFi and power, and don’t want to carry speakers to the gazebo, then I would probably look into getting an outdoor enclosure for the Amp and just keep it outside. They are available from 3rd parties with built in fan. You can also connect a TV to the Amp via HDMI-ARC. The amp is powerful enough that you can maybe do ok with a long 12 gauge (or smaller) wire, but that sounds like a lot of effort to make that long run.

You definitely do not want to run HDMI, RCA, or optical cables over that 200 ft run.

If it were me, I would probably just get a Move 2, and see how that works for you.  It’s not cheap, but it’s cheaper than other solutions.  If it doesn’t met your needs, then you can still use it in the house, while travelling, or just sell it on the secondary market, and go with an Amp.

I currently have a multichannel amp in the house connected to a port that drives 4 speakers out by the pool, and 4 more on an upper deck, and 2 in an area we call the courtyard.  Speaker wire run for those is a sane length.  

The gazebo has power, cat6, and is within wifi range of the house. Will also add a TV in the spring.  

Moving a speaker around would end up being a gong show.  With 3 kids, we’d need to form a search party to find the thing every time we wanted to use it.

Sounds like an outdoor enclosure for the AMP is going to be the best option!  Thanks!

I just put up outdoor speakers, and while I did not have to run much cable, they sound a lot better than “just get a move”. I used Klipsch aw650s. If I were to do it again and had known about them though, I would have gone with ca800t. Run speakers, if you want good audio. You could always get a weatherproof box for AMP and put it at the gazebo, if you get wifi signal there. That will save the long run of cable. 

Anyone have recommendations for an outdoor enclosure that they like?

Anyone have recommendations for an outdoor enclosure that they like?

I don’t know anything about them. But was a quick google search

https://altelix.com/altelix-enclosure-for-sonos-amp-apple-tv-amazon-echo-link-amp/