Answered

Other LAN Devices Causing Music to Cut Out

• 27 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Amp connected to my Xfi router’s LAN port via ethernet, thus putting my entire Sonos system in a wired mode.   It’s worked flawlessly since I installed it a few weeks ago.   Yesterday I connected an AppleTV and a Samsung television to two more of the router’s LAN ports for streaming stability.   When I did that, my Sonos music started cutting out every 4.5 seconds and it happened continuously so long as EITHER of those devices was connected to the router.   I tried removing the TV connection and the music still cut in and out.   Then I reconnected the TV and removed the AppleTV and got the same result.   The idea was to prove whether it was the AppleTV or the Samsung television, but alas they both cause the same problem.    When I disconnected both devices from the router, the music played perfectly again.

Please note that there is NO interaction between the television/AppleTV and the Sonos system.   For instance, the TV audio plays out of its on board speakers, not through any Sonos device.   Those two devices are on their own island, so whatever is happening is happening in the ethernet connection.

Any ideas what’s up?

icon

Best answer by buzz 27 October 2022, 19:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What is the source of your music? Are any SONOS Rooms Grouped?

I wonder if a Gateway update has fractured things. Are any other SONOS units wired to the LAN? If so are there any managed network switches?

Submit a diagnostic after one of these events and contact SONOS phone Support.

Avoid any SONOS Factory Reset without further consult.

I typically get my music through SiriusXM or Apple Music and both services demonstrate the same cutting-out problem when I plug the TV and AppleTV into LAN.   Both music sources work flawlessly immediately after disconnecting the other stuff from the LAN ports so I’m pretty sure the music source isn’t the problem.

No other devices (Sonos or otherwise) are wired to LAN.   No network switches either.

I’ll recreate the problem later tonight and submit diagnostics to Sonos.   My fear is that it’s an Xfinity issue which we all know would never get resolved.

I’m using Xfinity at the moment and not having any major issues. They do annoy me by sometimes disabling the connection late at night for updates and maintenance. Only a network switch is connected to the Gateway. I’m not a SiriusXM, Apple Music, or AppleTV user.

What else is using the Gateway? While I don’t have a strong feeling about this, maybe this is a duplicate IP address issue.

Let’s reboot everything. First shut down everything, then restart in the following order:

Gateway
AMP
TV and AppleTV
Everything else.

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step

Now, reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients. You’ll need to sign-in to the Gateway to do this.