Answered

Nothing works much…

Badge

My Sonos only works sometimes. Is everyone feeling the same level of garbage tech? Support does not work…chatbot nothing. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 26 August 2021, 06:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Badge

I am looking for replacement for my new Sonos system. Any ideas of tech that works?

Badge

I have multiple Move, One, One SL, and Connect. Going to leave them on the front lawn because nothing works anymore. 

So, you’re not interested in assistance from the community that you’ve posted in? 

Are you willing to post where you live? If it’s near, I’d be willing to drive over and take the gear from your lawn, as my system works well. 

Badge

Tried more…still circular and creative and not useful at all. 

Badge

Bruce, not helpful. Look at the endless trouble across the web. 

Badge

Good to have trolls, Bruce. Thanks. 

Badge

Would love assistance. I started with Sonos, but the chatbot sent me in circles. The system is updated - devices and Sonos products. The same sporadic connections at best. Volumes increasing/decreasing in delayed manner. Some iOS devices connecting, others not. Sorry for the frustration, but many of the sequences seem to be one-off and inconsistent. 

Badge

And yes, Bruce, if this is the level of stability I should expect from Sonos systems, I would welcome input from the community on better products. 

Badge

So, you’re not interested in assistance from the community that you’ve posted in? 

Are you willing to post where you live? If it’s near, I’d be willing to drive over and take the gear from your lawn, as my system works well. 

See below and please be helpful. 

Userlevel 7

Sounds like network problems. What router are you using?

FYI… @Airgetlam is anything but a troll.

Badge

Hi @GuitarSuperstar. Thank you for your response. Very frustrated with the system at the moment. Sonos support was not helpful. Xfinity router with Linksys Mesh. Apologies to @Airgetlam, but timing was bad. We (up to five devices - all iOS) allhaving connectivity trouble, but not consistently at the same time. All new iPhone 12 pros, all updated software. 

Badge

We have restarted the network and still having these sporadic/inconsistent problems. Two most frustrating are connectivity (none) and delayed volume response. Again, sorry for the frustration and do appreciate the community help from you @GuitarSuperstar and @Airgetlam. Not your jobs…

Userlevel 7

Are you able to connect any of your Sonos speakers directly to the Xfinity router with an ethernet cable?

Badge

To be clear when I say “not your jobs,” @Airgetlam and @GuitarSuperstar, I mean this is all voluntary and appreciate your time helping the community. Again, sorry for the frustration. Think I will stand down for the night as I have offended some…not my intent. Any ideas or tricks would be warmly welcomed. Have good evenings. 

Badge

Are you able to connect any of your Sonos speakers directly to the Xfinity router with an ethernet cable?

Yes. And system started working again. That was my point about inconsistency. Really can’t narrow why things are so sporadic. 

Userlevel 7

Yes. And system started working again. That was my point about inconsistency. Really can’t narrow why things are so sporadic. 

How long have you had a speaker wired to the router? Are you saying that you experience the same problems with a wired setup?

Badge

How long have you had a speaker wired to the router? Are you saying that you experience the same problems with a wired setup?

Sorry, have not connected by Ethernet in some time…and system started working again. No wires setup, all wifi. 

Userlevel 7

Can you wire one of your speakers to the Xfinity router and see if it makes a difference?

Badge

Can you wire one of your speakers to the Xfinity router and see if it makes a difference?

I will try, thank you. Could you explain why this might help long term connectivity stability? Curious. Appreciate your help

Userlevel 7

I will try, thank you. Could you explain why this might help long term connectivity stability? Curious. Appreciate your help

I think your instability problems are related to your Linksys mesh network. Wiring one speaker to your router creates SonosNet, a separate mesh network for your Sonos speakers. This will oftentimes improve network performance for all of your Sonos products.

After you connect one speaker to your router, it may take a few minutes for your other speakers to switch over to SonosNet. If you want to confirm that your speakers are in a “wired” setup, go to Settings > System > About My System and the bottom line of each device should read “WM: 0”. NOTE: Because the Move is a portable speaker, it will always say “WM: 1”.

Read more about a wired setup here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

Badge

Logical and VERY helpful @GuitarSuperstar! Thank you and will wire it up. Again, apologies for coming into the  community with such frustration. Hope you understand. Have a good evening 

I’d need to go read up on the Linksys mesh, but in general, Sonos needs to have all devices on the same subnet. Some mesh network systems divide each ‘extender’ in to a separate subnet using the same SSID and password. Since Sonos does so much ‘cross chatter’ between all speakers and controllers, if any one device is on a separate subnet, it causes problems. This includes both speakers and devices running a controller. So if one iOS device was connected to subnet A, while the speakers were on subnet B, the two would either not see each other, or potentially have great difficulty in communicating, if one or the other was fluctuating between the signal strength of each subnet’s connection. Your experience certainly suggests this is the issue.

The solution provided by GuitarSuperstar puts all the Sonos devices on the same subnet, this time created by the Sonos itself, only relying on your router for two things. First, it acts as the DHCP control, assigning IP addresses to all network devices so that they can be used, but also as a single point of communication between all Sonos devices. And the controller, connected to any of the other subnets, can just transmit through to the ‘base’ that the Sonos is plugged in to, and then out across the SonosNet mesh network to all of the Sonos devices.

One thing to be aware of is that SonosNet is essentially another WiFi signal, just one that you can’t ‘see’ on your router, but still subject to all the potential issues surrounding wifi interference , but with fairly simple care, most of those potentials can be avoided. 

Badge

I’d need to go read up on the Linksys mesh, but in general, Sonos needs to have all devices on the same subnet. Some mesh network systems divide each ‘extender’ in to a separate subnet using the same SSID and password. Since Sonos does so much ‘cross chatter’ between all speakers and controllers, if any one device is on a separate subnet, it causes problems. This includes both speakers and devices running a controller. So if one iOS device was connected to subnet A, while the speakers were on subnet B, the two would either not see each other, or potentially have great difficulty in communicating, if one or the other was fluctuating between the signal strength of each subnet’s connection. Your experience certainly suggests this is the issue.

The solution provided by GuitarSuperstar puts all the Sonos devices on the same subnet, this time created by the Sonos itself, only relying on your router for two things. First, it acts as the DHCP control, assigning IP addresses to all network devices so that they can be used, but also as a single point of communication between all Sonos devices. And the controller, connected to any of the other subnets, can just transmit through to the ‘base’ that the Sonos is plugged in to, and then out across the SonosNet mesh network to all of the Sonos devices.

One thing to be aware of is that SonosNet is essentially another WiFi signal, just one that you can’t ‘see’ on your router, but still subject to all the potential issues surrounding wifi interference , but with fairly simple care, most of those potentials can be avoided. 

Very helpful, @Airgetlam. Thank you and @GuitarSuperstar for your sharing of knowledge and time. 

Badge

@Airgetlam and @GuitarSuperstar Thank you for your time, expertise, AND HELPING ME SOLVE MY SONOS TROUBLES! SonosNet approach did the trick!Again, apologies for the snarkiness at the beginning and please keep up this wonderful community work. I hope Sonos appreciates your efforts as much as I do.