No Sound from Amp

• 22 December 2023
  • 2 replies

We just had a client call and tell us that they suddenly weren’t getting any audio out of their newly installed Sonos Amp. The connected TV nor any streaming music service would produce sound even though the app indicated it was playing. After walking them through the typical volume, mute and source scenarios, we decided to make a visit to the property. Everything appeared to be connected properly. We dove into the settings for that particular AMP and discovered that someone inadvertently lowered the volume limit so low that it was no longer audible. After turning off the volume limit, everything worked again. We’ve never seen this before in all of our years working with Sonos but glad it was an easy fix. If this happens to you, try going to settings > system > (select device with the issue) > volume limit. Volume limit should be OFF in typical situations. In our scenario it was set at 8% which is so low you wouldn’t be able to hear anything.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SaltyDude 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for sharing! I haven’t heard of this happening (without the user’s knowledge), though I suppose someone else with access to the network may have done it on purpose. Either way, well done for finding the cause of the issue!

Hi @SaltyDude 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for sharing! I haven’t heard of this happening (without the user’s knowledge), though I suppose someone else with access to the network may have done it on purpose. Either way, well done for finding the cause of the issue!

Hey Corey P,

We hadn’t heard of this either. Some thoughts are that the owners are elderly and still getting familiar with Sonos. We had just connected this Amp to their outdoor TV to improve sound through the in-ceiling speakers. Our guess is that they were playing around with the app the following day and must have mistook the volume limit setting for the actual volume. Not knowing what they did, they probably left it set at 8% and forgot it. When the other spouse went to turn up the volume, it wouldn’t go beyond 8% so it was essentially no sound. We’ve learned over the years to never underestimate someone’s ability to totally mess things up when they are unfamiliar with tech. Anyway, we felt this was worth sharing because it’s not your typical support check box.