Skip to main content

I just upgraded my original connect system to a new port, however I can’t seem to connect it to my existing Sonos 1 speaker. The new system works on my hifi but cannot find the existing Sonos speaker. The speaker does show when using my laptop but the new port doesn't. Can anyone help?

Which app are you using? S1 or S2?

Hi @The Pooka 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the trouble you've been having.

I’m going to jump in here as I can see the exact issue and can save you a bit of time - the Port has been set up as a separate system (“system” being a combination of all your Sonos devices, rather than just one) from your other Sonos device, and, as the app will only communicate with one system at a time, you will currently only ever see one device at a time.

Please unplug the Port from power, then open the app and ensure that you are connected to the other speaker. Next, factory reset the Port, then add the Port when offered to by the app (it will automatically offer to add the Port when the Port’s light is flashing green after the reset). This way, your Port will be added to the other speakers’ system, making the two show and work together.

I hope this helps.

Thanks the problem isn’t the port it’s the Sonos 1 speaker.  I managed to get it added to the system by resetting the speaker to factory defaults however now the speaker won’t play radio stations when you ask Alexa and I have followed everything to try and get it to work.  I should also say the method for factory reset given by Sonos wasn’t correct.  You actually have to use the infinity button on the back of the speaker to reset it. 

Hi @The Pooka 

Thanks the problem isn’t the port it’s the Sonos 1 speaker.

Well, that’s not entirely accurate. It was one or the other.

I managed to get it added to the system by resetting the speaker to factory defaults however now the speaker won’t play radio stations when you ask Alexa and I have followed everything to try and get it to work.

This is why I asked you to reset the Port - the other speaker will have had more configuration done to it. In addition, it will already have had your music services added. If you had any Sonos Favourites or Playlists saved to it, they will sadly now be lost forever.

To fix Alexa, please try disabling the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app, then re-enable it. Alexa app » More » Skills & Games » Your Skills » Sonos » Disable / Enable to Use.

If this does not help, please remove Alexa from the speaker, disable the Alexa skill and de-register all Sonos devices from within the Alexa app before adding Alexa from within the Sonos app once more:

1. Sonos app » Settings icon » proom with Alexa] » Amazon Alexa » Remove Alexa (please note that as I was checking which items to press here I repeatedly got an app crash at this point - I have reported the behaviour, but hopefully you don’t see the same).
  2. Alexa app » More » Skills & Games » Your Skills » Sonos » Disable.
  3. Alexa app » Devices » >each and every Sonos device] » Deregister.
  4. Sonos app » Settings icon » >room] » Add a Voice Assistant » Amazon Alexa.

I should also say the method for factory reset given by Sonos wasn’t correct.  You actually have to use the infinity button on the back of the speaker to reset it. 

The page I linked to has various factory reset procedures - they vary from device to device. They are all there.

I hope this helps.