Skip to main content

Anyone experiencing issues with the new app and Sonos port?

i’m looking to buy one but concerned it may have connectivity issues like the boost.

I have a Port. I’m listening to my desktop Genelec 8010s through it as I type, works perfectly normally streaming from the new mobile app, the new web app, the desktop S2 app and via AirPlay.

One caveat is there currently seems to be no way to configure line-out level, the setting is not available in the new apps currently and not configurable via the desktop app either. The only other feature I believe might be missing that is listed here is mono output. Line-in source level and delay are working fine.

Mine is already set up so this is not an issue, but I’m not sure what the default is for line-out level. Maybe this is configurable when initially you add the device, I am not sure.

FYI People are having difficulty adding new Sonos devices with the new app. If you have access to the old app you should be good. 

We have been unable to setup any new customers with iPhones. It forces you to update app to add new products. I’ve spend hours at clients homes today with no luck lost 3 new Sonos sales today. Only managed to get 1 Beam working ports says unable to register to account. 

We have been unable to setup any new customers with iPhones. It forces you to update app to add new products. I’ve spend hours at clients homes today with no luck lost 3 new Sonos sales today. Only managed to get 1 Beam working ports says unable to register to account. 

Sonos has royally f’d this up. So many posts here and many more on Reddit with the same issue. 

Hello everyone.  I've been using Sonos for 15 years and the latest update is the worst in history.  Mark error in everything.  Can't find the system.  You lower the volume and it turns up on its own.  You make a group and it says it is incompatible.  etc. I hope they solve it soon

Im doing a new job myself, i can add Sonos amps, but can not add sonos ports. this is ridiculous

After 2 hours with support rebooting routers and reinstalling apps they said that there are some issues with the new app, checked out this forum and seems like that should’ve been the first thing they told me on the phone 🤦‍♂️ now sitting here with a new speaker that I can’t use until they fix the app issues.

Looks like we’re missing audio compression settings and the fixed volume options for the Port.

I had the same experience when trying to add a new speaker. I had to use the new app on my iPad to add the device. It said also the speaker needed updating before I could use it. I did this and then it said the device was not registered. I followed the prompts to register. After the whole process I was able to use the speaker. BUT THERE IS A CATCH. I could not use the old app to manage my system now. 
I was then instructed (using the new app) that my entire system needed updating before I could use it. I went through the process (holding my breath) and all speakers came up. Took around 10 minutes to update. 
it’s now all working and I was able to add the new Sonos one speakers as surround sound. 

I guess you are forced to use the new app. 

The new app is a disaster. My 2 music streaming services barely work - Amazon seems better than Apple (?).  Volume control is a problem.  I have 6 speakers in 2 homes, are they now garbage?   Sonos - fix this!!!!!!!  Don’t send me more ads for new products until the app is fixed.

Yeap, 

Trying to link a Port to a Yamaha R-N600A amplifier/receiver, on the plus side I could get the Port to communicate with Beam and surrounds and play CD’s / LP’s  - However, 

The app is a mess. 

The options to configure line-out to allow the volume control on the receiver appear to be missing from the app (only options relating to line-in are there) therefore volume control is only available from the appallingly bad app.

I’d hold onto your £330 until they remedy this mess.

I would not recommend buying any Sonos products.  Especially now.  They have broken the app that runs it, so it’s a nightmare.  They could not care less about their customers - not the kind of company you want to get in bed with.  Hold off or look elsewhere. 

Don’t, I had one. I have a Lumin streamer now, goodbye Sonos.

No line in functionality on new app renders my whole home Vinyl audio null and void. Cambridge or maybe whim ultra in my sights

My advice is don't change anything until the app is fixed.

I ignored this advice yesterday because we needed to move some furniture in one of our rooms. 

I ended up spending 3 hours getting 2 Era 100s and a Sub Mini working with a Beam in a different room.

May have been a coincidence but from now until the complaints about the app stop I'm making no changes to my system.

I think I figured it out guys!  I have been trying to add this port for 4 hours to a system where I have 8 of these at my job site and no luck. so I brought one back home with me and same problem, so this is what I did  

***DO NOT plug an Ethernet cable into Sonos port and DO NOT use your own wifi. Then in the app, click on add new speaker/ component like you would normally do and select the product you wish to add. since you ARE NOT plugged into router/switch etc or on wifi, the app will ask if you want to use ***SONOS WIFI ! Click yes and I had no problem adding it to my home system normally. It even asked to update the Sonos port which was successful on the first try. 

hope thus helps you all

I have two PLAY:1 speakers that have been working fine for at least 7 years.  A few weeks ago I found that suddenly I couldn’t connect my cell phone app to the speakers, so I contacted Sonos for help.  I worked for 3 hours with two Sonos techs and managed to get the speakers re-connected, but there was no way to connect to any radio stations or streaming services!  The 2nd tech finally gave up when I asked to speak with a supervisor.  The tech told me that Sonos was having many difficulties with the updates that the company had made to its cell phone app.  Now Sonos has escalated my problem up to a higher level, and I’m waiting to see what they want to do next (8 Aug 24).

My Sonos Port used to work with my record player without issues until very recently with version 16.3.1 (build 80.1-55240). 
With the latest and current version of the app I can see the line-out and configure it but the problem is that there’s no signal out.

I’ve tried resetting to factory settings and that would bring the sound back, but once turned off and turned on in the following day it’s back to no sound.

The second reset has worked again… but I’m not going to be resetting and reconfiguring my device every time I want to play a record.

I don’t know what else to do, anyone at Sonos can provide any help?

@miguelsanchez 

Can you please specify the problem…

Where should audio from Ports input source play? On Ports room itself via the digital or analogue output? Or via wireless network on another room?

I think line in autoplay option is activated and set correctly to your destination room?! But it should because otherwise the first attempt after resetting also wouldn’t work. 

@Schlumpf the wired analogue audio output from Port to the amplifier that has the wired speakers doesn’t work, Port is not able to stream audio to other speakers (Era 300, Arc) 

I’ve tested connecting the record player directly to my amp and it works fine. If I plug it to the Port instead (record player → Port → amplifier) then no sound at all.

@Schlumpf the wired analogue audio output from Port to the amplifier that has the wired speakers doesn’t work, Port is not able to stream audio to other speakers (Era 300, Arc) 

I’ve tested connecting the record player directly to my amp and it works fine. If I plug it to the Port instead (record player → Port → amplifier) then no sound at all.

What exactly does the red marked sentence mean? If you also are not able to send Ports line in signal to other rooms using autoplay destination or group option, there might be a different problem, because in general exactly that IS possible. If not so for you there could be an issue with the line in of Port. You could try to connect another source device to Ports line in to check this. 
If the line in is ok and the signal can be send to another room, there could be something broken on the analogue output. To check this, using the digital out could help if your Amp does have coax digital in. 
Testing a different cable from port to the amp probably is one of the first things you already tried?!
And what about music streaming sources? Are you able to hear them via port on your amps speakers?

If all of that doesn’t work, I suppose there could be a bigger hardware problem with AD and /or DA converting. Calling Sonos support team and sending a diagnostic hopefully will bring more clarity to this. 
Ultima ratio you could try on your own is resetting port and set it up again.