Skip to main content

Need help with Speaker setup

• 16 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I would like to get some inputs on the speaker setup for my new house. I have attached the layout of speakers which I have in mind. Few questions - 

1. is it too many speakers (~6) for 1 sonos amp?
  2. does the layout looks good? My first plan is to setup the family room and dining area → movings towards patio next → and maybe other rooms in future.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can only connect six speakers to an Amp if you use Sonos Architectural speakers. If you are thinking about putting Sonos speakers in other rooms plan ahead for cabling or power outlets.

thank you for replying. Yes, I will plan the other rooms later in future and will get another amp if needed.

What do you think about the speaker layout for the room?

I assume that the colors signify left and right. Effectively you’ll only be aware of one channel in the kitchen and dining areas. This might be satisfactory if you switch AMP to mono. I’ll also note that the kitchen area is usually noisier than other areas and running the same Volume in all areas will result in one area being too loud while another is too quiet. There are in-wall Volume controls that can deal with this situation.

Overall, I think that you will be more satisfied if you have a pair of speakers for the dining area and a pair for the kitchen.

Thanks buzz. Adding 2 more speakers means 1 more amp to be added == more $$. But I do agree with all your points..  

Do you recommend to go with 2 speakers in living room and 2 speakers in kitchen instead of the above layout???

Also can you recommend which in-wall volume controls are you talking about?? Thanks

You are asking the wrong person. I’d run six speakers inside. There are “impedance” matching in-wall Volume controls that will allow multiple pairs of speakers to be safely connected to AMP. You could use one AMP now and add a second when you install the outside speakers.