Need help figuring out BeoSound 9000 connection to Sonos

• 5 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I recently posted about my difficulties in getting a BeoSound 9000 CD player to connect properly with a Sonos Amp.  I am happy to say that a 5 pin DIN to 2X RCA cable that allows connection between one of the PowerLink speaker sockets on the BeoSound and the Amp has helped, at least in part.  The cable was purchased from Steve Marriott at SoundsHeavenly.com in the UK. Thank you pup!

I have had the best result by short circuiting the requirement for a B&O remote control simply by inserting a dummy headphone plug into the BeoSound 9000 headphone line out (a tip from the BeoWorld Forum).  This allows me to control the volume output on the BeoSound directly, as it was in “TV Operated” mode when I received it.  For reasons explained more fully below, I actually have the Beosound connected to an Ampapa pre-amp Line-In and this is then connected to a Sonos Amp that is part of a 6-component Group on my Controller along with another Sonos Amp, two Sonos Ports connected to a receiver, a Sonos Five, and a Sonos Move. 

My problem is this: I get decent quality sound from the Sonos Five, the speakers controlled by the Amp not directly connected to the Beosound, and those connected to the two Sonos Ports, but I get NO SOUND AT ALL from either the Amp the BeoSound is connected to or the Sonos Move.  Why is this, and what can I do to redress the problem?

For the four components where I get sound, I have obtained the least distortion with the Volume level set at +66 on the BeoSound and the Line-In Source Level set to 2 on my controller. If I connect the BeoSound directly to the Amp rather than using the Ampapa pre-amp, I get very low sound output from the four components that “work” and it is distorted at high volume level on my controller.  Again, no sound at all from the Sonos Move or the Amp that the BeoSound is connected to.  Incidentally, it seems I can only control Line-Out Volume and EQ from the BeoSound and not from the Ampapa which is also weird!

Any suggestions for what is going on or possible solutions gratefully accepted!

4 replies

I’m not quite following your connection scheme. A SONOS Line-In is a network audio source. Line-Out, AMP’s speaker output, and SONOS speakers simply play audio from the network. Line-In shares a shell with another device that can connect to the network and play music. There is no direct connection between Line-In and the player sharing the shell. A Line-In can be played on any combination of players either by selecting that Line-In as the source or joining a Group that is playing the Line-In. The B&O audio output can be connected to any convenient SONOS Line-In.

As you have discovered, there is a “war” between the Volume controls. You’ll need to make peace with this. Ideally you might be able to patch Line-In to a fixed level B&O output.

Userlevel 2

Yes, the BeoSound 9000 is the audio source, I don’t quite understand what you mean by a shell.  My Line-In plays on 4 players in my Group, but not the speaker output on the AMP connected to that Line-In or a Sonos Move in the same Group.  I don’t understand why this is and am trying to redress it. Is that more explicit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So if you choose “Line in” as a source on the wifi connected devices you get sound, but if you choose “Line in” on the Amp that is cable connected to the Beosound you get nothing?

By “shell” I mean “box”. Even though Line-In and the speaker outputs are attached to the same “box”, they are two independent devices connected through the network. AMP does not work like a traditional amplifier where the inputs are permanently routed through to the speaker terminals.  For the operator there is no difference between listening to Line-In on box ‘A’ and Line-In on box ‘B’.