Answered

need amp suggestion for s2

Badge

Hi all -

Ridding our house of Sonos that don’t play nice with S2 controller / app

Need to drive 2 outdoor, non-powered speakers 

Been using Sonos amp connect zp100 and zp120

Like to use s2 controller 

what’s the lowest cost option to drive them but using s2 app /controller over WiFi 

Also - have seen the Sonos Connect’s Gen 2 for S2 - looks like RCA jacks on the back. My speakers have regular, old fashioned speaker “wire”

thx all - very much 

will likely just grab something on the 2nd hand market 

much appreciated !!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 10:57

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can’t you just upgrade your Amp to S2, and then use it as before? Total cost to you: $0.00. 

Badge

Hi nik9669a - 

Funny - must have been reading that at the same time you posted. Looking in to that option now :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi nik9669a - 

Funny - must have been reading that at the same time you posted. Looking in to that option now :)

You wrote:

“Been using Sonos amp connect zp100 and zp120”

If you have either/both of those they can’t do S2. 

Badge

I also think the two connect:amp I have are both - unfortunately - Gen1. 

One is labeled: connect amp: zp120 

the other is labeled connect:amp but does NOT say “ZP ---” 

Just trying to make DARN sure before I sell stuff and buy stuff for no reason….

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I also think the two connect:amp I have are both - unfortunately - Gen1. 

One is labeled: connect amp: zp120 

the other is labeled connect:amp but does NOT say “ZP ---” 

Just trying to make DARN sure before I sell stuff and buy stuff for no reason….

You can check the manufacture date on your connect amp to see if it is a gen 2/S2 compatible. If you look at the serial number, the first two digits are the year and the second is the month. So 1801, would be January 2018. IIRC anything after March (or is it April 2015?) should be Gen 2/S2. Also If you check the Upgrade link in your sonos.com account, if you have 30% upgrade offer for the Connect Amp that will also confirm it’s S1 only (15% would indicate S2).

But before you consider moving the connect amp to S2 or buying an S2 compatible connect amp there is a firmware bug causing drop outs. Might or might not be fixed in the future. Does not affect S1 apparently. See this thread

Badge

Thanks man!! I think I must have 3 of the Gen 1 ….. dangit!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks man!! I think I must have 3 of the Gen 1 ….. dangit!!

Oh damn 😀 even at 30% off 3 amps ain’t cheap 

Badge

Just need the one (3 would be mortifying) 

Looking around on ebay/FB etc…

Just shocked I have 3 of the things and none are G2 capable of S2

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jairboy 

Thanks for your post!

I’d only recommend a Sonos Amp - second-hand or not. 

It has significantly more power than the various Connect:AMP models, runs S2 and is AirPlay compatible. It also looks a lot better, in my opinion, than the older models.

Some older Connect:AMPs are reaching the end of their usefulness (regardless of the bug that @Bumper mentioned), and this is often the reason they are sold on - buying one at this stage is a risk that I personally would not be willing to undertake.

I hope this helps.

Your profile says that you already own an amp, and just about every other product Sonos makes. 

Anyway, I’d also consider using your Move (or getting a Move 2)  to be placed outdoors when you need it.  The Move 2 is on sale right now, and a pair will cost you just a little more than an Amp.  You will need to bring it (or both if you get two) outside when you want it, but if you aren’t using the backyard daily, this may not be a big concern.  The Moves can be placed in different spots in the backyard, and auto tune to that location, giving you more options.  Not to mention bluetooth capabilities and portablity to use away from home.

It’s another option to consider.

Badge

Peeps - 

Really appreciate the community for their time and answers. In between writing the OP and now, I bought 2 x Amp/Connects Gen 2 (with play button).  Only need one to work nicely. 

** Bonus ??

Would wiring the amp via ethernet to router resolve the dropping out that people are talking about? 

Thx again as always fir your time and answers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jairboy 

Would wiring the amp via ethernet to router resolve the dropping out that people are talking about? 

Possibly - it varies from device to device. If you do wire to ethernet, it may be necessary to disable WiFi to prevent the device from having to do extra work in providing a connection to other devices. If you do come across the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.