Music stops casting, Sonos changes to Line-In

• 22 December 2020
  • 3 replies

My music stops playing on Sonos speakers and reverts back to the Line-In on the Play 5. It’s completely random. Sometimes it won’t do it for hours, sometimes it does it every song.

Sonos is convinced it’s wireless interference. I suggested what I think is the problem but they did not think it was the case.

This issue is present in multiple streaming services from multiple devices. I have removed the Wi-Fi pods from my home. Issue is still present. I have cabled one speaker with ethernet and the rest joined the SonosNet (which I won’t be able to do regularly due to the nature of my home). The issue is still present. 

I have a record player connected to a pre-amp which is connected to the Play 5. How is it possible that the preamp is triggering the Play 5 to think it should use Line-In, thus - stopping the streaming service from playing music? Even though nothing is playing on the turntable? 

Unplugging the pre-amp appears to have fixed the issue. Turning off Autoplay but leaving it powered also seemed to fix the issue. While this helped me determine the problem, it’s not a feature I want to lose going forward.

I have a Fluance Pre-Amp. There is no off switch. I’m not exactly sure how the technology works, but if it’s ‘sensitive’ to movement, this doesn’t seem the be the reason why it is triggering the Play 5. It is just completely random. Sometimes I’ll pick up my phone and it will stop at that moment. Which is why I was totally on board with the suggestion of Wireless Interference.

I’ve just tested another Pre-Amp (not one I can use after these tests)...while there does appear to be a slight hiccup getting Spotify to cast to the speaker after I’ve listened to a record, Spotify ultimately does not stop playing songs until directed.

Can anyone explain this or give me an idea of how to move forward? I like the preamp I have and am not exactly interested in investing in a new one - but naturally I’d like to solve the problem. Perhaps I’m incorrect also, and it still is a wireless interference issue?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I am not convinced by wireless interference as an explanation in this case.  The evidence suggests that your pre-amp is occasionally sending some form of signal to the Play:5, which the Play:5 interprets as a play trigger under Autoplay. The only thing you can do in Sonos is what you have done already - turn off Autoplay. 

Thank you. I’ve contacted the manufacturer for an explanation. Have you ever seen this before? Can it be explained?

It could be a grounding issue in the preamp. Frankly, if the preamp doesn’t have an on/off switch I would simply insert a separate switch in its power feed...