Answered

Music library on USB drive no longer updating

• 7 December 2021
  • 1 reply

I had my Sonos music library setup on a USB stick in my WiFi router. All has been working fine, including playing songs from that USB source and running regular updates of the music library (re-indexing). Now I'm getting this error when trying to update the music library:  

Music files not available

[usb location on router] is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path may have changed. Go to Settings > System > Music Library Setup to check the path.

Even after this mesage was displayed, Sonos could play songs from the USB drive (i.e. from the existing music library) absolutely fine, so the potential issues mentioned in the message don’t apply; it was just the music library update that stopped working. To try to fix things, I deleted the music library reference from Sonos and tried to add it again. (I did this using the Sonos desktop app to navigate to the required location on the USB drive, so Sonos can definitely find and recognise the drive.) I'm now getting the same error when trying to re-add the USB location to the music library.  SMB v1 is turned on, the USB drive is accessible from Windows Explorer, and is also working fine as a source with my MusicStreamer app (playing songs on my iOS devices) so I'm at a loss what the issue is.  

Any suggestions advice?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 December 2021, 00:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Ignore the fact that it is accessible from Windows Explorer, Sonos doesn’t use Windows to access the data, as Sonos runs on Linux, and uses a different method to “see” the data.

I’d ask that you double check the settings on your router that the USB stick is plugged in to. It sounds a lot like there was a background update to the router that may have changed some of those settings you’ve talked about. I know I’ve occasionally had issues with software updates (both on my NAS, and my TV set!) which have caused Sonos to stop working properly until I reset up the appropriate settings. 

Unfortunately, you’ve not told us if this is S1, or S2. Or what the make and model of the router is, so further diagnosis is somewhat challenged. 

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.