Answered

music cutting in and out

Badge

i have 3 amps set up on my system and lately the music shuts off and comes back every once in a while and sometimes it keeps playing in one area but not others and vice versa, wondering what the issue could be, seems to only be when I am using Spotify, everything is up to date and my internet is good thru out the house

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 July 2022, 10:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Are your AMP’s wired or wireless? Are you streaming SPOTIFY via it’s App or a SONOS controller? 

Badge

All wireless, it happens when I use Spotify thru the sonos app and also when I use Spotify in it’s own, doesn’t seem to happen when I play sonos radio tho 🤷‍♂️

my internet is good thru out the house

How’s that provided? By a WiFi mesh? 

Presumably the Sonos system is entirely wireless? You don’t have a wired component somewhere?

Badge

No wired sonos component, wi-fi mesh, eero pro to be exact 

Badge

All amps are on same spot on top of each other and the router is in the room above, about 6 feet away

Have you checked that the Amps have sufficient ventilation? It’s not impossible that they could simply be getting too hot in a single stack.

WiFi meshes often change channels automatically when they feel like it. Despite being co-located, your Amps could be connecting to different Eeros, on different channels. This could lead to the Amps’ radio transceivers interfering with one another in such close proximity. It could also compromise grouped playback.

To be honest you’re more likely to have success by getting a Boost and wiring it to the Eero primary node in the room above. The Amps can then go onto Sonos’ own wireless SonosNet, and after wiring the three Amps together you could disable the radios in two out of the three.

Badge

I’ll give that a shot and see what happens

this didn’t happen before it only started happening within the last week or so

Badge

Thank you for your input

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gaucho 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I would mark @ratty’s reply as the Best Answer, but I’d always look for free - or cheaper - options first.

The fact that all 3 Amps are in the same location and are not ethernet-wired is a problem. End of story. They will be sources of interference for each other.

If you can, the best option would be to have all three wired individually to a network switch, with WiFi disabled on all-but-one of them (leave one on in case you want to expand with wireless speakers at a later date). The switch would be wired to the router (or main node of a mesh), not to a wireless mesh node. Alternatively, you could daisy-chain them with ethernet cables, with one cable leading back to the router.

A final option would be to leave them all on WiFi, but to separate them by 1m.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I wired 1 of the amps to the router and wired them to each other, so far so good, I only tested for 1 day but it seemed to have no problems ( i didn’t turn off the wifi because I have some wireless speakers inside) 

hopefully it stays that way

thank you guys for the input

I wired 1 of the amps to the router and wired them to each other, so far so good, I only tested for 1 day but it seemed to have no problems ( i didn’t turn off the wifi because I have some wireless speakers inside) 

hopefully it stays that way

thank you guys for the input

As @Corry P suggested you could reduce overall WiFi interference by disabling two AMP radios. This will improve performance for all WiFi devices, not just SONOS.