Skip to main content

Hi,

I woke up on Monday to find 6 of my 8 Sonos devices missing from the app.  All are wifi with DHCP reservations in my router.  Other than an occasional hiccup, the system has been working well for a couple of years now.  I upgraded to S2 a few weeks ago, and things seemed to be working fine intially.

I’ve tried:

Finding lost devices in the app

Rebooting all devices

Rebooting wifi router

Reinstalled the app

Hard reset one device - App will find the device and provision it, but it disappears once it’s back on the wifi

I plugged a couple of the devices in to ethernet and it found them and updated the software, but once back on the wifi, they disappear

There are no IP conflicts or anything else I can identify that would block any devices.  All other network devices are working properly.  I can see the devices in my router as connected and they show up on a network scan from a third-party program.

I would appreciate advice because I’m out of ideas.  Thanks!

Have you considered wiring one speaker to your router to have a “wired” Sonos setup?

I suggest that you uninstall the controller, and install a fresh copy. Be careful to indicate that you want to control an existing system, not install a new system.

Have you considered wiring one speaker to your router to have a “wired” Sonos setup?

Unfortunately, it’s not practical for me due to placement.  Every other stationary device in my house is hard-wired.

I suggest that you uninstall the controller, and install a fresh copy. Be careful to indicate that you want to control an existing system, not install a new system.

I’ve tried this and it made no difference.

This is unlikely to be related at all to S1 or S2. 

It would be helpful to know more about the network, specifically what router make and model you’re using. is it a mesh? Are there extenders in play?

It would still be instructive if you were to temporarily follow GuitarSuperstar’s suggestion, the results of that test might help the community hone in on a potential cause.

This is unlikely to be related at all to S1 or S2. 

It would be helpful to know more about the network, specifically what router make and model you’re using. is it a mesh? Are there extenders in play?

It would still be instructive if you were to temporarily follow GuitarSuperstar’s suggestion, the results of that test might help the community hone in on a potential cause.

The network is an ASUS Zenwifi XT8. Three units. Two connect by ethernet backbone, one WiFi connected. 

I can temporarily make Sonos One hard wired to see if I can get the missing speakers back online. 

This conversation will be of interest.

This conversation will be of interest.

Sure looks like it. 

I’ll read through and take the suggestions. Thanks!

Like others in the thread above, it appears that updating the router’s firmware to 3.0.0.4.386_43181 caused the issue.  A factory reset of the Asus ZenWiFi XT8 fixed it, but it was an inconvenience and I had to setup parental controls and DHCP reservations again.

Thanks for the help.