Answered

Multicasting Audio Playback Issue When Grouping

• 5 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have noticed if I have music playing in one room of the house and in the middle of the song I group it to another room the audio sometimes only plays out of one of the stereo speakers even if I see it online, once I power cycle the speaker everything is working as expected. I do have multicasting and all the IGMP proxies setup on my router.

Could this be because there is a lot of information being transferred at once to the new grouped speakers that the multicasting doesn’t keep up? I don’t seem to notice this when I pause the music and group the speakers to then un-pause the music.

icon

Best answer by John B 9 November 2022, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It’s certainly possible that Sonos is fighting a certain amount of wifi interference in order to establish a connection, certainly. I wouldn’t expect it to have anything to do with multicasting itself, though. If the speakers were all hard wired, I don’t think you’d see that sort of behaviour. 

Badge +1

@Airgetlam I don't feel like it's wireless interference. I have my Sonos on it's own 2.4GHz V/WLAN and my internet connection to the speakers are fabulous with good download speeds. My other devices on the wireless network on a different V/WLAN are not having any wireless interference and my other speakers on the Sonos network are not having any issues when I start playing music.

I’ll not bother you with further attempts to assist you, then, my apologies. 

Badge +1

@Airgetlam No bother at all. Would still like to know what might cause this if my wireless network isn't having any issues.

When you group a speaker set together, does the associated speaker inform the other speakers to do the command that was given from the user from the app or is evening communicated from the app itself over the network?

Hi.  First, I don’t know why you have dismissed wireless interference.  This can be very localised and can come from non-WiFi sources.  So do you have more than one 2.4GHz network running in your own setup?  Do they use the same wireless channel?

The speaker from which you start a group acts as the ‘group co-ordinator’.  It handles the distribution of the audio to the group, in particular the synch.  So it is always best to start a group from the device with the strongest signal.

Personally, if I wanted Sonos to have a dedicated segment of the LAN devoted to it I would wire a Sonos device (speaker or Boost) to my router so as to trigger SonosNet, and ensure that the wireless channel for SonosNet is well separated from that for my WiFi.  You may wish to experiment with that.