Skip to main content

Major drop-outs and Interference

The last couple of days I have been having major drop-outs when playing from streaming services (Pocket Casts and BBC Sounds) and also from my NAS. It’s only been a week since I did a complete power down of all Sonos devices and router and booted back up.

I know my wi-fi environment is noisy and has caused connectivity issues for Sonos but also my work laptop via wireless upstair so I expect that to be the issue. But I’d appreciate a Sonos person checking the diagnostic to see if maybe there may be another culprit since I have also recently added a new Sonos One SL and moved things around a bit.

Diagnostic 1505611723.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Whilst you’re waiting for the diag to be looked at, have you tried to isolate the problem?

Assuming there’s a wired player does that also drop out if played alone, either on local music or internet streams? 

Does the network matrix at http://IP_of_a_player:1400/support/review offer any clues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I only have a Boost wired and none of the other components are. Here is the matrix. Doesn’t mean much to me I’m afraid!

Not a lot wrong there really. Kitchen R is a bit low in terms of signal from the Boost but (a) it could always connect through Kitchen L instead if it wanted to, and (b) in any case it would get its audio stream from Kit L by direct routing.

Was this taken with the Lounge setup playing? The Sub’s showing high local interference. Is it near other wireless kit?

Does something that has a good signal, such as Office, give problems? 

Obvious, but perhaps overlooked: have you tried simply pulling and resocketing the Ethernet cable to the Boost, at both ends? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Ratty. Many thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. The Lounge wasn’t playing but the sub is close to the TV tuner unit so I wouldn’t be surprised if that does cause interference. No I haven’t tried unplugging the Boost ethernet. can’t hurt to try eh? Radio has been laying ok for the last half hour so does seem a tad intermittent. Yes I was having issues upstairs on the Office with the RH speaker dropping out and back in then both dropping out. When I went downstairs the Dining Room (grouped) was also doing the same and the same in the Kitchen.

Do you have IP addresses reserved in your router? I know you said you’d powercycled all the Sonos devices and the router, but if you didn’t do the same for everything else and IPs aren’t reserved there’s a chance that an IP conflict could have occurred. If that’s the case it will probably all sort itself out in the next day or so, as IP address leases automatically renew themselves.

On a different tack, is this only occurring when players are grouped? If so you might get a different result depending on which room you start from, when assembling the group.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Ratty. I have reserved addresses in my router (Actually I probably haven’t done the las unit I bought!). I actually always try and set Dining Room as the master by starting it on its own and adding the rooms I want to it. I did this since the last time O had an issue the Sonos rep told me kitchen was weak.

Dining Room (L) is not much different from Kitchen (L). If you were going to group everything then Lounge actually looks like a better starting point. 

See what Sonos Support can see in your diag. It needed to have been taken within 10-15 mins of a dropout, as the logs only retain a limited history of interference.

One other thing: The Boost is supporting 10 devices wirelessly. There’s a chance it might struggle under load. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So the BT Home Hub router allows for the IP addresses to be reserved. As I thought I have done this for all the devices but the latest (Office R) hadn’t been. So I tried to get the router to reserve that address but it isn’t sticking. Odd. Will try powering it off and on again.

If the Boost is struggling is there anything to be done about that?

The diag would show if there are transmission jams (bottlenecks) in the Boost. Sonos Support would have to advise if that’s the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks ratty. Appreciate the help. I found the new Sonos speaker leads to a message saying this when I click on the device in the router:

GUA (Permanent):2a00:23c4:279d:b301:f2f6:c1ff:fe2b:4b9e Assigned by device

Which the help button says is a device assigned static address. This is new for Sonos isn’t it? None of my other Sonos devices do this.

It’s the IPv6 address that’s “assigned by device”. (GUA is the ‘Global unicast address’.) The IPv4 address is by DHCP, as noted above it.

Could you have hit a limit on the maximum number of reservations? Some routers don’t allow that many. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ah that seems to have done it. I removed a device I knew not to be needed to connect anymore and all it then allowed mt to persist that setting. Can’t imagine this will resolve any interference mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Sonos

Please review the diagnostic and report back.

Many thanks