Answered

Low hum while playing vinyl

• 11 January 2023
  • 5 replies

I get a low bass hum sound from my new project turntable connected to my Sonos amp. Any ideas on how to eliminate that?

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 January 2023, 23:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I get a low bass hum sound from my new project turntable connected to my Sonos amp.  The turntable is set at level out. Question. Where should my source level be set?  Currently it’s at Level 2.

Thanks. 

Set the source level so that at ‘full’ or ‘fixed’ volume, you do not get any noticeable distortion from your speaker output… many just set it quite high, between 7 and 10.

Hum might just be a grounding issue - there are several threads on that topic in the community. 

See if these links may help:

Also see this external link:

http://best-turntables.com/how-to-fix-turntable-hu/

There are other possibilities. Setup to play a record, but don’t lower the arm. Move the arm over the playable area. Does the level of hum change with arm position?

I will give that a try tomorrow. The hum comes and goes. Right now I’ve moved the TT away from the amp and speakers. 

Thanks for the responses.  I haven’t heard the hum in a few days, after moving the TT away from my Sonos amp.  Don’t really know it that was the issue or not, but I appreciate the help from the discussion group.

Yes this could be an issue because AMP emits an external magnetic field and the turntable’s cartridge is sensitive to magnetic fields. If this is the case for you, it will become obvious as you move the AMP or the turntable arm.