Answered

Long Spotify Playlist unable to add to Queue

• 23 December 2020
  • 13 replies

Using S1 iOS app and unable to add long playlist to queue. Cleared pre-existing songs from queue.

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 26 December 2020, 21:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Drewzer4455,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Let me share some information about using the Sonos queue.

The queue for your Sonos product works like a dynamic playlist. Any time you play a track or an album on Sonos, it’s first added to the music queue before it starts playing. You can add specific tracks or albums to the queue to create a playlist on the fly. Our article on adding tracks to the queue covers some specific options you can use to build your playlist as you go. Once there are tracks in your queue, they can be shuffled, set to repeat, or crossfade between songs. You can edit the queue, modifying the order of the tracks, or removing them. Your queue can also be saved as a Sonos playlist if you’d like to play it again later.

About your concern unable to add a long playlist to the queue, allow me to ask some questions to check on it.

• Was it working before?
  • When did the issue start happening?
  • Can you tell us the exact error message when you tried to add your playlist?
  • What music service do you use to create your playlist?
  • Have you tried using other devices to add the playlist?
  • Have you tried to force restart your iOS devices?
  • Have you tried rebooting your router and all your Sonos devices?

The more information you provide, the more we will understand why you won’t be able to add a long playlist in the Sonos app using your iOS device. To take a look at your Sonos system, please submit a diagnostic report. Just include the confirmation number in your response. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. We’ll wait for your reply.

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I can add other playlists from Spotify to the Queue.  

I have never been able to add this particular playlist.  It is 762hours and 48min in length. I imagine that there is a maximum playlist size that Sonos S1 controller can handle.

The error message is “Unable to add songs to Queue”

The playlist is from Spotify.  I can add other Spotify playlists as well as playlists from other music services such as SoundCloud.

I have tried to use multiple iOS and MacOS devices.

I have force restarted the devices and rebooted the system.

Diagnostic #1440780608

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Drewzer4455

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Based on the report, an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync errors, an audio playback failure in your Sonos system, the Family room with your rear speakers is showing as a dropped room. Also, a potentially bad Ethernet cable detected on your Family Room Connect Amp. Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you

1. A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Check the status lights on your Sonos speakers, they should have solid white light an indicator that your Sonos is connected.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  3. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Have one question:

Should the 2.4Ghz channel broadcast from my router be the same one that is used for SonosNet or should it be different?

One issueL

Have not tried to fix the rear speakers in the family room, yet.

The steps above fixed my inability to play music directly from the native Spotify app.

Did not fix the inability to play one particular LONG (>700 hr) playlist.

I am able to play other songs and playlists both from Spotify app or within Sonos S1 Controller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is a size limit to most playlists but the limit varies by source, I thought Spotify was 4k tracks but I could be wrong. What exactly happens when you try? Also what happens if you try using the Spotify app itself to send the playlist to your Sonos system?

When trying to play the long playlist via Sonos S1 controller, says unable to load playlist. When trying the Spotify app, it just does not play. Thank you

Badge

Hello.

I am using my new Sonos Move with Spotify and encountering this issue also. I can play all Spotify playlists through the Sonos app except my main playlist which is 3,712 songs long. When I try and play this, the Sonos app gives the following error: “Unable to add songs to the queue”.

As this was the first playlist I ever attempted to play on my Move, there was no opportunity for the play queue to be too full, and when emptying the play queue and trying again (tried this after restrating my Move, restarting my Sonos app) it gives the same error. Because of this I can deduce that the playlist is simply too long for the app to sequence.

I can stream the playlist to my Move through the Spotify app but this is not ideal because it means Last.fm scrobbles get broken.

Controlav suggests the max playlist length is 4,000 tracks in Spotify however this is not the case as evidenced by my experience. What is the actual limit and can it be increased over time?

Badge

Hello.

I am using my new Sonos Move with Spotify and encountering this issue also. I can play all Spotify playlists through the Sonos app except my main playlist which is 3,712 songs long. When I try and play this, the Sonos app gives the following error: “Unable to add songs to the queue”.

As this was the first playlist I ever attempted to play on my Move, there was no opportunity for the play queue to be too full, and when emptying the play queue and trying again (tried this after restrating my Move, restarting my Sonos app) it gives the same error. Because of this I can deduce that the playlist is simply too long for the app to sequence.

I can stream the playlist to my Move through the Spotify app but this is not ideal because it means Last.fm scrobbles get broken.

Controlav suggests the max playlist length is 4,000 tracks in Spotify however this is not the case as evidenced by my experience. What is the actual limit and can it be increased over time?

I have created a playlist on Spotify to test the limits - when this playlist goes over 2,500 tracks i get the same error. From this limited test I can suggest the current track limit on Spotify is 2,500 tracks. Take this with a pinch of salt though as I’m not sure exactly what causes this limit; I have some long songs in there etc.

Still not ideal; after spending so much money on a Sonos speaker to find it has limits on which playlists can be played is actually very disappointing so I hope it gets fixed at some point.

There’s a 15-second timeout on any queue loading operation. If the playlist is long, or the service is slow, this limit could be exceeded.

Badge

There’s a 15-second timeout on any queue loading operation. If the playlist is long, or the service is slow, this limit could be exceeded.

Hi Ratty,

The operation to add to queue on my device is more like 5 seconds before it gives the error. This is from pressing play to receiving the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Ratty,

The operation to add to queue on my device is more like 5 seconds before it gives the error. This is from pressing play to receiving the error.

There could be a size limitation of the playlist xml itself, as well as the timeout. Can you try 2499 and 2501 items? If it fails exactly at 2500 then it might just be a hard item count limit.

I have a library of almost 4,000 songs and think I found a solution. I had a Spotify Playlist of all my liked songs. In the Sonos app, i used the option to take that Playlist and "Make a Sonos Playlist". Now that it's a Sonos Playlist vs a Spotify Playlist, I no longer receive that error message. Give it a shot

Badge

I have a library of almost 4,000 songs and think I found a solution. I had a Spotify Playlist of all my liked songs. In the Sonos app, i used the option to take that Playlist and "Make a Sonos Playlist". Now that it's a Sonos Playlist vs a Spotify Playlist, I no longer receive that error message. Give it a shot

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried long pressing, add to my Sonos, then once that appears on the home page adding to a Sonos playlist then making a new playlist. I then get an error of unable to add all songs unfortunately!

At present I am using Spotify to cast to my Sonos anyway because of an unrelated issue with last.fm scrobbling, but if that is ever resolved I'd rather be using the Sonos app