Answered

Keeps cutting out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

There’s lots of good advice in this thread for those using Google Nest WiFi. Perhaps reading through that will assist.

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-components-google-mesh-wifi-go-wifi-or-sonosnet-6822265#post16322421

The Nest mesh system seems to me to be a little problematic with Sonos (or the other way around) because the Nest primary hub and its satellites all auto-seek their 2.4/5ghz channels and often miss hidden networks like SonosNet and can occasionally present problems. The advice in the thread (collectively) gives rise to best practice with that particular mesh system and the solution starts by identifying the channels in use by each access point and then taking things from there,

i hope the thread helps you to resolve your dropout issues.

I will give it another look however this is a persistent issue from before I had google wifi.  I ran an asus rt3100 and experienced the same issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @tiffanyhiebert and @jsigritz85574, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

@tiffanyhiebert, We don’t have any known issues with the Netgear R6850.

Since the troubleshooting didn’t resolve the issues, I would like to put the Play:5’s original settings back on. 

Turn on the wireless setting in the Room settings.

Since Line-in is working, can you test if the playing the Native Spotify app also has the audio cutouts?

@jsigritz85574, I checked the diagnostic, the players are having wireless interference in the environment.

Since changing the SonosNet channel is not resolving the issue.

I would like to refer you to this article Reduce wireless interference and as well as @Ken_Griffiths’ suggestion.

Let’s check for any wireless interference in the environment and update us with your findings.

Badge

No changes to WiFi only change was to install latest Sonos app

When starting app and having selected rooms for music to play in music starts and stops periodically. Sometimes music only plays from one  of the speakerS even though 3 selected then it comes on and goes off again. Sometimes misses a track at the start.  App says it can’t find a track or can’t connect to Deezer. After a few minutes or restarting and ignoring errors feverything plays fine for the rest of the night. It doesn’t matter what time of day  I use. the system this is happening nearly every time I start to use the Sonos system over my WiFi. Everything else is working fine.
diagnostic number 1418611569

@Kyle A @Ken_Griffiths 

Multiple channels attempted.  each device has a reserved IP address.  no changes.  Any other suggestions?

@Kyle A @Ken_Griffiths 

Multiple channels attempted.  each device has a reserved IP address.  no changes.  Any other suggestions?

The fact you have had the issue even before installing the google WiFi tends to infer it’s something else that’s causing you the dropout issues, but without knowledge of your network setup or access to diagnostics etc; it’s difficult to give you a definitive answer. It maybe best to give sonos support staff a call and troubleshoot with them over the phone. They have access to tools that may be able to diagnose the problem far more quickly than perhaps ‘toing & froing’ with various posts here.

Here is a LINK for you to contact Sonos Customer Care.

Hope you manage to get the matter resolved.👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jsigritz85574, thank you for the update and @Alan_63, thank you for reaching out.

@jsigritz85574, I would agree with @Ken_Griffiths, It would be best for our Phone Support to troubleshoot this with you.

I would also suggest to preemptively map your network as our Phone Support would likely check this first.

The models of the devices, how everything is wired, how far the speakers from the Wifi source, and other network devices.

@Alan_63, I checked the diagnostic, I see a “not enough bandwidth” error on the pool speaker and it’s a group coordinator with living room and dining room.

When you say restart, did you also include your network?

If not, let’s try a sequential reboot. Reboot the network unplugging for 15 secs, then plugged back in, and let it boot up completely; before rebooting the Sonos speakers.

We would also need to check if the issue also happens during ungrouped music playback.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I have 2 rooms going at once, one is the living room tv setup. Only since updating to the S2 app, when I am trying to listen to music, but with the tv on mute, the whole system cuts out after about 3 minutes, and only the other speaker in the other room keeps going. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Since Sonos released S2 nothing but trouble, App not finding speakers at all, or incredible slow (upto 10 sec) finding speakers, slow handling queues, slow manipulation volume. Compared to previous S1 the upgrade has only brought problems..’ nothing really changed, Sonos just upgrades speakers to new SonosNet2.

Recommend all, if u can do not upgrade and stay on S1 until this Company fixes the many bugs

Am I correct in that you can’t go back once you’ve upgraded?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Octane748, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I checked your diagnostic, I see the Play:5 as the group coordinator and reporting the audio drop out. 

I would like to know which room the audio cuts out during the music playback.

Try playing music without grouping them; does the audio drop still? If not, try selecting the living room first before grouping them.

For the downgrade question, although it is not recommended after upgrading to S2 firmware; you can revert to S1.

It would only need a Sonos speaker on the S1 firmware and factory resetting the upgraded speakers.

In your case, you can’t revert; all of the speakers you have are S2 compatible and on the S2 firmware.

for details, you can check under “is this process reversible?” on this article. Set up separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems.

Update us on how the troubleshooting goes.

Hi @Kyle A 

I have 2 ‘rooms’. One is ‘TV Room’ which is my surround sound and sub all run in my tv, but also used for music in the living room. 
Separately the other ‘room’ is ‘Play:5’ 

When my tv is turned on, even on mute, my new Sonos app since upgrading the other day, does not allow me to select ‘tv room’ only as you suggested. I can tap the radio button, but as soon as I hit done, it reverts to Play:5, even when I have unplugged the Play:5 from the wall socket. 

Tbe only way I can get music to come through my surround sounds system ‘TV room’ is to select both ‘rooms’ together, but after 2-3 minutes of playing music, the surround system reverts back to the sound of the TV, which as normal, is with the sound turned right down, therefore seeming to cut out. 

Because of this problem, the only way I can listen to music now in my TV room, is to turn the TV off which is not ideal because I like to be able to watch something, whilst playing music through the sound system. I’ve always been able to do it until I upgraded to S2. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Octane748, thank you for the update.

Did you try ungrouping them? you do this by going the System tab (once called Rooms) click the group button, uncheck the other room, and then hit done.

You’ll see both rooms separated, now you can select the TV room.

Is the autoplay setting on in the Beam’s room settings? 

I suspect the Beam not receiving the audio from the Play:5 for a moment and since autoplay is on; it switches to TV;

because the Play:5 is the group coordinator in the diagnostic.

If not and you’re able to ungroup the rooms and unable to select the TV room.

I would suggest calling our Phone Support as they have an option to have a screen share and see what you see in the app.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Finally found the very simple root cause of my Beam 1-2 second audio cutout issue. The hdmi cable was Bent too tight at the connection point into the Beam (bent more than the minimum bend radius for the cable).

The audio was cutting Out for a second or two and was happening every minute or two and I thought it was the TV’s issue. Using a 2019 Samsung The Frame. Hdmi port 3, rechecked the hdmi cable, power cycled the beam, then plugged the hdmi cable back into the beam and left it farther away from the wall to allow a larger bend radius and no tight 90 degree turn. Immediately fixed the issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @loveda4, welcome to the community.

I’m glad that it’s now working and thank you for sharing your discovery.

The HDMI contacts are probably being lifted from the contact of the Beam.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @eh.09, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to know, do you need assistance? do you have the same issue as OP?

Please elaborate on the issue you’re having.

I have checked the number, the diagnostic is showing wireless interference; are you having playback issues?

I look forward to your reply.

Hi @Kyle A 

yes my music keeps cutting out. Sometimes for a few seconds sometimes more (15+ seconds)

please let me know how I can fix this!

thanks for your help

Eric

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @eh.09, thank you for the clarification.

I checked the diagnostic, the speakers have reported a wireless interference.

To reduce wireless interference, here’s a link to the article.

It will have pointers and tips on wireless interference.

While you’re checking the article, I would like to check your Network setup for any known issues.

Please provide the model of the network devices creating your network; router, switches, mesh networks, and the like.

I also would like to know how far away the speakers are from the Wifi router; as this has a factor in the investigation.

Update us with your findings.

hi fam,

Play 5 on wifi often has issues "picking up" first connection attempts from spotify. Also has problem maintaining a connection to TuneIn Radio,  until somehow suddenly it doesn't.

Google mesh wifi, pretty frequent connextion frustrations both before and after recent software update.

Hi @Kyle A

I changed my modem’s 2.4 GHz channel from AUTO to channel 11. It seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help :)

Eric

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @eh.09, thank you for the update and @DCNemesis, welcome to the community.

@eh.09, I’m glad to hear that the Sonos system is now working.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

@DCNemesis, the Play:5 is reporting “not enough bandwidth”. I would like you to take a speed test with Speedtest.net and post your results here.

Next, we would need to check for wireless interference; as I can see the Sonos speakers are using the Wifi network.

You could also try to wire a Sonos speaker to the Google main hub if there’s one Sonos speaker nearby it. 

This will create SonosNet for the other Speakers. SonosNet behaves similarly to a Mesh system and only our speaker can connect to it.

Update us with your findings.

Hi @Kyle A , thanks for the response.

Speedtest results (on wifi): 232 down, 11 up, 15ms ping. I don’t think that my connection is the issue

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9936342002

I don’t expect that there’s any wireless interference, as the Play 5 (speaker I have the most trouble with) is about 10 feel down an open hallway from the nearest Google Wifi (the hub), about 10 feet closer than the Playbar, Play 1s, and sub which are around the corner and in the other direction.

I haven’t changed the position of any devices or otherwise changed our setup in years.

I just finished hardwiring the Playbar to the network a minute ago, but I can’t seem to find any indication within the app confirming that the system is on SonosNet.

I’ve been running TuneIn radio on the Play5, which is the combo that gives me the most trouble. So far, so good. I’ll keep trying it daily and come back if I have further issues.

New Diag: 560647769

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @DCNemesis, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

The speed test is good, I checked the diagnostic; the Sonos system is using SonosNet.

You can see this indication in the Setting > System > About my system. You’ll see WM:0 on the device’s information 

WM:0 SonosNet, WM:1 WIfi connection, and WM:2 for Home Theater Satellites connected to the Soundbar.

I’m glad it’s working and yes, update us or reach out if you’re still having issues. The community is here to help.

Hi @Kyle A 

I'm having problems once again with connection from Spotify, both originating from the Spotify app and within the Sonos app.

From within Spotify, connection to my Sonos speakers gets stuck at "connecting..." and eventually just times out.

I open Sonos and it sees the song playing on Spotify, but doesn't appear to be playing in the Sonos UI. Clicking to play within Sonos is unresponsive, no file plays at all.

Current diag: 31171342