Issues connecting to online radio services with Wired Sonos Play-5

I’ve got a play 5 that has recently been exhibiting problems connecting to Tunein or Sonos Radio. I have a both a bridge and a boost and after reading the forum here, thought I would start my troubleshooting by taking wireless out of the equation and so I plugged the Play5 directly into the switch and powered the Boost and Bridge off.  I can get to the Play5 with the Desktop or Mobile apps, and can make station selections, but can not get them to play; I get a “connecting” message and then the app gives up.

I can play Tunein on my local desktop in a browser with no issues, so that doesn’t seem to be the issue. Also I can adjust the volume controls on top of the Play5 and that is immediately reflected on the volume slider in the app, so the Play5 is communicating with the app.

Suggestions?

Also, I tried to follow the instructions to remove a Sonos Bridge, but there is no “Bridge Removal” in the Tools section per the instructions. (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3458?language=en_US#removal)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Some good tests there. What I don’t see yet is a reboot of your router, which is a possibility. The local desktop browser test doesn’t really reveal much, because it’s on a different device than the speaker, and likely connects to a different place on the TuneIn stack than the computer in the speaker does.

I’d certainly leave both the BRIDGE and BOOST unplugged for now. No need to “remove” them when they’re not plugged in anyway. You’re better off fixing this issue with just the speaker plugged in to the router directly, and once it’s working, we can then move backwards to getting is set up differently. One step at a time, as they say.

So, back to my suggestion about rebooting the router. I’d add a small caveat to that….make sure the speaker is unplugged while you do that reboot of the router. It’s a small thing, but can fix one potential issue, amongst the many that a reboot can do, on both devices. Once the router recovers, then plug the power back in to the Sonos PLAY:5.

Give the PLAY:5 a couple of minutes to come back up, and then open your controller, and check to see if it plays TuneIn at that point. If it doesn’t I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the tips, especially the part about unplugging the play5 while rebooting the router.  In this case the Sonos is on a Ubiquiti managed switch linked to the router, so I suspect I better bounce the whole network then reattach the Sonos once that comes back up.

Art