Is there a product enhancement roadmap - why should i invest more in the product if i cant see the future?

Have just spent many thousands of dollars on a full home SONOS setup?

Many said it was simpler and easier… however is it better ?  

Multiple ARCs , AMPs , Subs and 8 pairs of high end 8 inch speakers. 

I have kept my previous full multi-room, multi-source home audio solution. The best thing i did was not to throw it out.

Have managed to setup the two side by side throughout the house, the sound quality of the SONOS when trying to drive the new speakers is noticeably poorer compared to the previous 10 year old solution i was looking to replace/upgrade.

So the question begs with a software driven solution. When will you be upgrading and improving? This is after all one of the main advantaged of been software and app driven.

Should I continue to invest in the product suite…. your call !  

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You'll have a long wait, Sonos never forward announce an upgrade roadmap.

The 1980’s called and want their 2 band Equalizer back !

SONOS has announced a major controller update will be released on Tuesday.

SONOS expands the two band equalizer with Trueplay, an automated multi band equalizer. Trueplay attempts to achieve ‘flat’. Not everyone likes “flat”. I know a fellow who runs his SONOS tone controls and SUB’s bass at max. He loves his system. Fortunately I don’t spend significant time in that house.

In the end, only you know what sounds “best” (to you).

I look forward to the update on Tuesday. 

Trueplay unfortunately doesn't help me with Focal and Paradigm in-ceiling speakers.

Have had builders, electricians (audio installer) all suffer through my attempt at a comparison while visiting my home. All agreed a clear and noticeable differential comparing old v new system.  

What can I say I was expecting SONOS sound and music quality somewhere between Fantastic and Awesome …. only got Ok to Good.

I look forward to the update on Tuesday. 

Trueplay unfortunately doesn't help me with Focal and Paradigm in-ceiling speakers.

Have had builders, electricians (audio installer) all suffer through my attempt at a comparison while visiting my home. All agreed a clear and noticeable differential comparing old v new system.  

What can I say I was expecting SONOS sound and music quality somewhere between Fantastic and Awesome …. only got Ok to Good.

Why in the world would you expect “Fantastic and Awesome” from a soundbar based Home Theater system, especially compared to dedicated separates?  All soundbars are a compromise.  You trade convenience, no visible wires, easy setup, etc. for a condensed soundstage, smaller drivers, lack of elaborate switching modes, etc.  

Each AMP is a physical dedicated separate for each pair of speakers in each room. All wired. I dont use an ARC soundbar for music.

Each AMP is a physical dedicated separate for each pair of speakers in each room. All wired. I dont use an ARC soundbar for music.

Multiple ARCs , AMPs , Subs and 8 pairs of high end 8 inch speakers.  

Then maybe you shouldn’t include them in your scathing critique, or at least mention your critique was limited to music from your own 3rd party speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For a meaningful discussion it would also be good to know what “good sound quality” vs “noticeably poorer” sound quality means to you.