Skip to main content

Hello,

I have a troublesome Connect Gen2 that somehow can’t stay connected to my network for more than a few minutes. It doesn’t matter if it’s connected via WiFi or Ethernet, it always ends up disconnecting. I can sometimes get it back by rebooting it, others I need to factory reset. All my other Sonos products have a rock solid connection via WiFi.

I’ve browsed through different other topics but couldn’t find any solution that worked.

Is it possible that the device is actually dead, even though still “very partially” working ?

Here are a couple of red flags I noticed while troubleshooting:

• The factory reset is hit and miss. Usually have to try up to 5 or 6 times to get it to end on the green status led. Most other attempts just blink amber/white 3 or 4 times then turn solid or blinking white again.
  • After it stops working, I often still see it listed in the app, but when browsing the “About my system” tab it only shows its name and no other network details like for my other functioning devices. It usually disappears completely from the app after a few minutes.
  • Sonos updates seem to fail at the restart stage every time. Sounds to me like it’s completely unable to rejoin a Sonos network by itself once disconnected momentarily/rebooted.
  • The white led intensity tends to jump all over the place while booting, from the normal flashing to strange dimming/strobing.
  • When rebooting and connected via Ethernet, the rear network led’s end up turning off completely after a few seconds/minutes. Like it’s giving up on trying to join the network.

Would anyone have an idea ? I don’t have high expectations on that one, but it still bothers me that it partially works.

Cheers!

The odd light behaviors tell the story. Likely there is a power supply issue. If you contact SONOS support they will probably make some sort of accommodation to replace the unit -- unless you have disassembled the unit. There is no support for units that are the victim of attempted field repair. If the unit works for a few minutes you can take the trade-in credit.

If you are so inclined you can search for disassembly videos and attempt your own repair or simply purchase a used unit online. If you purchase a used unit, factory reset the unit before connecting it to your network.

Hello @MaGysely 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

To be honest, it sounds pretty broken to me. The unstable white light is a classic sign, as is it dropping off the network without good reason - especially with ethernet connected. Failing to factory reset is enough for us to say we’ll replace it, though it seems strange that it sometimes does and sometimes doesn’t. It could be unstable power regulation, I suppose.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will probably need a video of an issue. It may be an idea to record a short video of the flickering light and a failed factory reset attempt before you call, to save time on the call. They will confirm the fault and give you your replacement options.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that’s what I thought.

I gave it another go earlier today. It was connected to the network fine for a while (though not being played) and it then held a stream for 10 good seconds before crapping itself. It’s 6 years old so i guess it had its time.

I’ll check it further with the support team as you advised and see where it goes.

Cheers!