Answered

IR Range Problem with TV Remote after Software Update

• 28 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Today our Sonos stopped working and the app said a software update was required. We did the update, then the TV remote no longer worked. We re-added the remote using the process on the app. Now, the TV remote will only adjust the volume if I’m less than 6 feet away. Before the software update everything worked great. Nothing else has changed. I read some similar posts, tried unplugging the play bar, changed the batteries on the remote, cleaned the IR window. Nothing helps. Help would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 28 December 2020, 19:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There are two IR sensor ports, one used when PLAYBAR is vertically oriented, one for horizontal. I’m speculating that the software update mixed them up. As a test, block the port facing your viewing position with an opaque card. If the ports are mixed up or the port facing you has been disabled, blocking this port will have no effect on operability. With the port facing your position disabled I expect that an IR remote might work, but range and position relative to PLAYBAR will become more critical. Another way to approach this test would be to block the port that is not facing your position. If this port is being used exclusively, you will not have any IR control.

Submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number here. Also note which orientation your PLAYBAR is using. SONOS staff can check to make sure that the orientation sensor report is correct.

Thank you!