Question

Iphone, Ipad music library dissappered a year ago on Sonos after an update.

• 11 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I been so pissed it took over a year for me to ask what the f,.ck!! Music library worked fine super easy open Sonos app showed my music I could play from iPhone and iPad. Then Sonos does an update and it just disappears no icon nothing in settings there’s nowhere says anything about my music library. So my $2000 speakers have been junk for over a year. Not sure what Sonos was thinking but I use to think they were great now I tell everyone DO NOT BUY SONOS! Almost everyone I know has iPhone and would be so mad if they bought a not cheap wireless speaker that won’t play there music library. Does anybody know how to play music from your library on iPhone or iPad? I tried the update library Sonos says to do says I don’t have one or ask for a file name and there is no file name just my music on my phone and iPad. Thanks anybody that can help or tell me if I should trash these cause I’m done not being able to play all the music I have and paid for song by song from apple. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Scotty7944.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to play your own purchased/downloaded music stored on your Apple device through Sonos. Let me help you with that.

The “on this iPhone” feature on the Sonos App installed on an Apple mobile controller has been removed because of the feature no longer be reliable. Let me recommend going through our guide about how to play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch which does provide multiple alternatives on how to play those music stored on your mobile phone.

How can I listen to tracks stored on my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Here are some of the options for playing tracks that are stored on your iOS device to Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

No longer reliable= Apple removed the functionality that Sonos and other companies were using to access data on the iOS device. It was not a choice made by Sonos, but instead forced by Apple.

Thank you for your help. I still can’t believe a 5 dollar speaker can play all my music just by hitting play but my Sonos sound bar is useless unless I download and pay for other apps or streaming services. I would never buy a speaker that said can’t play music from your phone if you don’t pay monthly fees or spend time trying to get it to work. I already tried using google music and it don’t work. I’m not gonna spend hours being mad nothing works. I’m just never buying a Sonos product ever again. Like I wasted $2000.00 on surround sound that can only play tv. Unbelievable!! 

And is it really that hard for Sonos to show up in your Bluetooth as a speaker so you can play your music? Pretty sure they learn how to write programs that easy in middle school. Idea for next commercials, Sonos perfect for your home as long as you don’t have an iPhone or want to pay another monthly streaming fee you hardly ever use like the 10 other monthly fees we all pay for every month and hardly use. I’m sure sales would be great after that airs. And yes Apple updates are horrible but no where near as bad as a wireless speaker you can’t play your paid for music library from. That’s just beyond insane. 

Sure. Since there are no devices except the Sonos Move that have a Bluetooth receiver built in to them. They’re all WiFi devices, which is a different thing than Bluetooth. If they’d included the electrical hardware (antenna, and electronics for receiving that frequency) in all their speakers, it would be an easy software change. In fact, that’s exactly what they did with the Sonos Move, included all the necessary hardware for it to function as a Bluetooth speaker. 

You may need to do some additional research on the way radios work. Or read those links Paul provided, which were posted in August of 2019. Many of those solutions require no subscriptions at all. I continue to use my iOS devices, including the one I’m typing on, to send music to some of my Sonos devices, at no cost at all.