Skip to main content

I am undertaking a self build in the UK. We are approaching the stage of first fix electrics, at which point I was planning to wire in audio cable for a number of in ceiling/in wall speakers powered by Sonos amps.

I now find out the in ceiling speaker is 250mm Deep? The standard for new builds has a 45mm service batten and 12.5mm of plasterboard mounted on top. This leaves a total void of 57.5mm to install the speaker without having to drilll into the PIR insulation underneath, which is against building control regulations.

A stud wall is 90mm, which gives 102.5mm total for a wall mounted speaker.

Is this just me, or am I simply going to have to go down a different route? Surely somebody at Sonos or Sonance thought about this when designing these?

P.s. Sonos tech support were clueless on this, simply saying the 12.5mm plasterboard would hold the speakers in place.

I’m just posting this link here, as it perhaps may assist. I came across this blog from an authorised UK Sonos seller in regards to selecting the best ceiling speakers and they recommend Sonos/Sonance etc. 

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/faqs/choose-perfect-ceiling-speakers-use-sonos

I hope it helps, if not, perhaps email them, or give them a call, as they seem quite knowledgeable with such installations and maybe able to provide you with some helpful advice. 

I’ve seen installations in RVs where space in wall is limited that used a spacer ring between the speaker’s flange and the wall. Ones I saw were about an inch and didn’t look bad at all.

I personally would not use in ceiling speakers for surrounds, if that’s you plan. Surround should ideally be placed ear height, behind (so not above) the listeners.

I personally would not use in ceiling speakers for surrounds, if that’s you plan. Surround should ideally be placed ear height, behind (so not above) the listeners.

Planning on using them in a kitchen/dining area and in a bathroom, not as surround speakers. I’m planning on using the era’s for rear speakers, mounted as a proper surround setup.

Amina speakers would fit. These are not in everyone’s price range. Maybe they are less expensive in the UK. There are similar, more generic products, but most of them are trash.