Answered

Impedance Load for Sonos Amp

• 22 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I want to connect two pair of Definitive Technologies AW6500 speakers to a Sonos Amp. According to the speaker installation instructions, each speaker presents a nominal impedance of 4-8 ohms. The Sonos Amp states it provides 125Watt continuous power sine wave, into an 8-ohm load, both channels driven. It further states that the Sonos Amp can power two pairs of 8-ohm nominal passive speakers wired in parallel. My question is can I safely wire each pair of the AW6500 speakers in parallel to the left and right channel of a Sonos Amp? If the speaker instructions indicated 8 ohms, I would have no question. However, stating 4-8 ohms has me questioning if this is safe. Any feedback will be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by buzz 22 September 2023, 03:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

According to the AW6500 spec sheet these are 8-Ohm speakers.

The SONOS AMP is very good when driving difficult speakers. Many high end speakers have impedance dips slightly below 4-Ohms that fluster a majority of amplifiers. AMP handles these gracefully. I assume that you will be using these speakers outside and there will be a long run of speaker wire. The resistance of the long wire run will protect the amplifier somewhat. AMP is well protected both thermally and from impedance dips. If you cross the line, AMP will shut down. If you use a shutdown as a warning and improve the situation, there will not be any permanent damage.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Read the following articles. You should be OK using 4 Definitive Technologies AW6500 speakers. Definitive rates the speakers @ 8 Ohms:

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/en-us/product/outdoor/aw6500

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-four-speakers-to-your-amp-or-connect-amp

Edit: Yeah...What @buzz said 😂

Thank you both for the feedback and information. I am looking forward to this install.

CD