I have a new wifi router . System on settings greyed out

• 27 December 2020
  • 12 replies

Have 2 SONOS one SL speakers.2weeks old on wall brackets , cables buried behind plaster and newwall paper. New router 20 metres away so ethernetcablenotan option.

So how I connect my brand new sonos speakers to my new wifi router?

On the app systems is greyed out as is my account details.

Everything else easily connected to new wifi,  problem only with these Sonos speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

As I always say, if all else fails, read the instructions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As I always say, if all else fails, read the instructions.

So often a last resort, yet so often the solution. 😜

I have tried everything on this link, with the exception of using a cable as 20 metre cable needed.

On the sonos App  I do not receive a message saying " cannot connect  to Sonos , click here to learn more, so  no access to system settings this way.

No access to systems by the App as it is greyed out. I have online way of accessing settings to set up a new wifi at all.

Completely useless APP or completely waste of money speakers asfar as I can see 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Have you tried setting the new router name/password to be the same as the old one?

I have tried everything on this link, with the exception of using a cable as 20 metre cable needed.

On the sonos App  I do not receive a message saying " cannot connect  to Sonos , click here to learn more, so  no access to system settings this way.

No access to systems by the App as it is greyed out. I have online way of accessing settings to set up a new wifi at all.

Completely useless APP or completely waste of money speakers asfar as I can see 

Your profile shows a Sonos One / One SL - can you not move one of those near to your router to cable it nearby?… its only a temporary matter whilst you then enter your new WiFi credentials in "Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup"

No had not thought of that nor indeed that I would need to! Plus old router's its name password etc went to the dump days ago! 

Still think Sonos make this just to difficult.  9 items attached to new wifi no problem, one item will not connect Sonos. It should be routinely simpletbo go to wifi settings on the system and change them

I have speakers that look destined for the dump next week andI will never buy sonos again andwill, discourageall I speak to

Factory reset your speakers and set up as new system.

Sounds like an option just need to get someone around to help . It seems it involves holding a button on the speaker and turning power on and off. Power and speakers are 20 feet away from each over!

But thank you for the suggestion, will get a friend over and try this before the dump option,!

No had not thought of that nor indeed that I would need to! Plus old router's its name password etc went to the dump days ago! 

Still think Sonos make this just to difficult.  9 items attached to new wifi no problem, one item will not connect Sonos. It should be routinely simpletbo go to wifi settings on the system and change them

I have speakers that look destined for the dump next week andI will never buy sonos again andwill, discourageall I speak to

In the Sonos case here, you only have to wire one speaker to the LAN for a few moments to give it your new WiFi credentials and it then passes those settings onto every single speaker in the Household and you’re sorted. Its a simple process - I just don’t see how else the speakers could get your new routers SSID and password securely.

I did not need to use a wireto setup and run the 2 speakers where there now,  once Ted perfectly via the WiFi connection.

With the speakers being ceiling height mounted on brackets and the power cable buried in the wall not the easiest thing to do to run a wire from them to  the router by its phone line 20 metres away.

Surely like the other 9 components connected to the new wifi, I should be able to go into wifi settings in the Sonos  APP, put in new SSID and password? It is this complete inability go into the system settings on the Sonos APP that is frustrating and useless.

I did not need to use a wireto setup and run the 2 speakers where there now,  once Ted perfectly via the WiFi connection.

With the speakers being ceiling height mounted on brackets and the power cable buried in the wall not the easiest thing to do to run a wire from them to  the router by its phone line 20 metres away.

Surely like the other 9 components connected to the new wifi, I should be able to go into wifi settings in the Sonos  APP, put in new SSID and password? It is this complete inability go into the system settings on the Sonos APP that is frustrating and useless.

But that might mean your next door neighbour could simply get the Sonos App and take control of your speakers too.

The mobile Sonos controller App is just a ‘wireless remote control’ that connects to the devices using your WiFi.

In order for it to work it needs to find the speakers (only) whilst connected to your ‘wired’ or ‘wireless’ network, otherwise, as mentioned, your next door neighbour or passers-by could connect to the speakers too if that was not the case. So wiring one device, or giving them your routers WiFi credentials first, is still the most secure way for the the App to see your speakers and control them.

All are using your local network security.