I am constantly needing to reset my Sonos 1

• 18 December 2020
  • 12 replies

Badge

every few days my sonos ones become unable to connect to.  They can be working one minute, then disappear the next.   I reset each unit and it works for a day or two, then gone again. Is this your way of trying to force everyone to S2.  Very frustrated with the product last several months.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Badge

reset everything, played for about 30 minutes, then disappeared again

Seems more like a network issue than a software issue. The whole ‘working one minute, gone the next’ thing sounds like they are having trouble maintaining a connection to your router. You didn’t specify if you have them directly connected to your router with an Ethernet cable or not, so I’ll first suggest the potential of wifi interference , which could be from outside your network. It’s worth reading through that FAQ.

It is also possible, and even likely, if they are directly wired, that they are having an issue with duplicate IP addresses, which would also manifest in a disconnect scenario. Simply unplug all Sonos devices from power, and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. If that resolves the issue, you may want to look in to setting up reserved IP addresses, at the least for your Sonos devices. Instructions would be in your router’s manual, but it’s not required, if it does happen in the future, the unplug/reboot process would work again. 

Badge

thanks, one is hard wired, 5 are wifi.  wifi is very strong.  both wired and wifi have the same problem

Signal strength doesn’t matter, in either potential situation I mentioned. Since it’s both wired and unwired, it’s more likely the duplicate IP address issue, something that raises its head semi frequently after a software update, due to the way Sonos does a soft reboot if all devices, forcing a new request for an IP address. If your router has been munged for any reason, it can hand out duplicate IP addresses. 

But, if only one device is wired, you’re actually likely running in SonosNet mode, which is equally affected by WiFi interference as your normal signal can be. I used to have issues with a microwave leaking radiation which interfered with my strong signal. I also had a new neighbor move in, and while I had a five bar signal, their router stomped enough on the channel I was using that it made sense to change it. 

There is no network that is immune to issues. It’s the very nature of both networking, and more so for WiFi that exposes them to potential problems.

But it’s entirely up to you. You can choose to ignore my advice, and continue on the path you’re currently on. Nothing is likely to change. Both my options are no cost beyond your own time, I’ve not suggested buying new equipment, as it wouldn’t make any difference, in my opinion. 

Bruce is absolutely right.  The reason you are constantly resetting is that resetting never addresses the underlying issue, which always resurfaces.  Your system is capable of working flawlessly, but needs a bit of one-off troubleshooting to find and fix the issue.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The same advice was given here 

And it was a successful solution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I spent many hours trying to identify the DHCP issue from my fairly high end router’s logs and network monitoring tools. I failed miserably, never found a thing that looked wrong.

My Sonos didn’t care, it still packed it in from time to time, particularly at power-flops and updates.

Finally admitting defeat I took the 10 minutes to set the static/reserved IP addresses. the issues have never returned.

Some folks never have an issue, some folks get bit daily, some only on reboots. In every case I can recall the static/reserved tweak ended the aggravation.

Badge

I am in the process of reseting everything and setting static IP’s.  Will see how that works.  Was never a problem in the past, seems just recent. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Once reset power down all sonos, reboot router and controller and power up sonos, any wired ones first and your IP issues should be gone.

Good Luck.

Badge

ok, system still here this am, but there seems to be issues if I am not on the same SSID, even though both SSIDs are configured the same other than one is 2.4 and one is 5ghz.  both SSID’s are broadcast by the same Wireless Access Points that are wired to the router(no mesh)  Sorry if i should be posting elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If your router doesn’t merge the 2.5 and 5 GHz networks internally that can be a problem.

Maybe ask about that on your router’s forum?

Badge

Devises keep disappearing.

All devices have static IP’s

All Access Points are using both 2.4 and 5 ghz merged with the same SSID.

I’ve had these for 3 years and never had a problem until the last month or so.

Nothing else has changed…

Next idea?