Question

Hurrah - My Sonos seems faulty

• 6 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Whilst the Hurrah may seem an odd title I am actually quite happy that one of my Sonos units seems faulty after some 15-years of service delivering a daily alarm of music into the kitchen every morning. It could have broken some 13-years ago and been out of warranty. The other 11 zones continue to operate.

“It’s dead Jim but not as we know it” was my alternative title.

Symptoms

• Seems to upset all the Sonos units if plugged in on ethernet
  • Flashing White Light turns static when on wireless
  • Does show on router with correct reserved IP
  • Does respond to a ping
  • Shows up on Matrix but named undefined
  • Doesn’t show on CR200 or Sonophone App

We run on a locked 8.4 network with VLANs, but it is picking up the right IP and therefore the right VLAN. 

Any suggestions on next steps to resurrect or confirm dead would be welcome. Will a reset require a Sonos App of correct vintage. I have both phone and desktop Apps that should be able to be restored if need be. And I think I need to restore one of those to run a diagnostic.

Cheers Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Diagnostic 1296199183 submitted

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @F00tS0re, thank you for reaching to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. Also, your speakers are out to date. Have you tried updating your Sonos system? Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting steps to see if this would work for you.

• A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  • Check for updates
    • On iOS or Android
      • From the Settings tab, tap System > System Updates > Check for Updates.
    • On Mac or PC
      • From the Sonos menu (Mac), or Manage menu (PC), select Check for Updates.

I after performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same on the Sonos app,  I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device to further check on this. Also, please provide your full network setup including the make and model for each device when you contact them.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Rowena B.

We run 8.4 as we still operate 3 CR200s & Sonophone The system operates fine, it is just one unit we have suddenly started having an issue with. It blinks white and then eventually turns solid white. It doesn’t show in the App or sonophone. But the Mac address shows up in the matrix as undefined.But doesn’t appear in the list of zones at the top.

It could be broken, as simple as that. But as it lights up I would rather confirm it was broken rather than guess. I could reset but there have to connect back to the system and not sure if it will force an upgrade.

I have restarted everything as requested and the new diagnostic is 706504861.

We have a fairly large network, the home network is part of a set of holiday cottages. We have 12 UnFi Access Points and 6 UniFi Switches across the whole site in 4-clusters connected via UBNT Airmax. There 90 Devices on the network right now and this excuses the switches/APs. The Sonos units are all in our house on a private VLAN, quite a number are wired as it is very old and has very thick walls.  We also have Sky which is wired/wireless network with the ability to create STP loops. All are set to wired only.

Cheers

Dave

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @F00tS0re, thank you for a detailed response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I see the same error from the previous diagnostic that you sent us. The diagnostic shows 11 Sonos devices.

Since you're missing one speaker not showing in the Sonos app, I have a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

• Checking the LED light status. This is to see if your missing Sonos device will respond accordingly. Kindly observe the light and how many times it flashes.
    • Press and hold the Volume Down ( - ) and the Play/Mute button together simultaneously for 10 seconds until the LED light turns solid red.
    • Kindly observe the light and how many times it flashes.
    • Press Play/Mute to exist.
  • Have you tried wiring the missing speaker to your router? Did it appear in the Sonos app?

If you're still having the same issue, the next step is to factory reset your Sonos device. It will delete the information on the device and It cannot be restored. You also may contact our Sonos Customer Care support to assist you with this and provide you the best option.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.