How to setup hardwired house

• 30 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I recently moved into a house which is prewired with 10 speakers throughout 6 different rooms of the house. The speakers are wired with 16 AWG stranded conductors (sometimes two conductors braided together). In one room, I have 2 speakers that accompany a tv so would be good to somehow put those speakers on the tv output (optical cable or hdmi)

I’d like to have the ability to play music to the 6 different area’s independently and control with a smart speaker or my phone. Can someone give me some ideas on what equipment is needed to accomplish this? The Sonos amp seems to be 1 zone, figured there must be something with multiple channels. 

I currently use Amazon prime music so curious if the Sonos software and hardware can interface with that. 

Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You would need 1 Amp for each independent set of 2 to 4 speakers.  If wiring 4 to an Amp, they must be 8 Ohms. 

There is no Sonos device with multiple channels. If you want 6 different possible streams, you’ll need 6 Amps. 

All Sonos devices can connect to Amazon Prime Music streams. 

Depending on the TV room speaker locations relative to the TV, you may get better results using a SONOS soundbar located under and connected to the TV via optical or HDMI and use the passive speakers as surrounds connected to an AMP. In any case speakers connected to the TV should be driven by a soundbar or AMP connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC or optical. Otherwise there will be a vexing audio delay.

Each AMP or surround system becomes a SONOS “Room”. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same music in any combination of Rooms. Note that there will be a slight lip sync delay with Rooms Grouped to the TV Room. Music will always be time aligned.