Skip to main content
Question

How to play a password protected stream?

• 3 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I subscribe to KQED radio’s “Pledge Free Stream”.  KQED emails me a very long URL, which (presumably) contains an embedded password; this plays perfectly in my Firefox browser.  Sonos (controlled by Noson, a control program under Linux similar to the Windows App) refuses to play the stream; the play arrow flashes repeatedly but nothing else happens.  How can I play the stream, or any password protected stream?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonrysh

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

You can add an internet radio station on the Sonos app. Sonos supports MP3, AAC, and WMA audio formats for streaming Internet radio stations, just make sure you have the streaming URL handy. Radio by TuneIn must be added to your Sonos system in order to manually add a radio station URL.

Here are the steps that you can follow to add the internet radio.

Using the Sonos App for iOS or Android:

1. From the Browse tab, select Radio by TuneIn
  2. Tap My Radio Stations
  3. Tap the three dots in the top right and tap Add New Radio Station
  4. Enter the Streaming URL and Station Name and tap OK

Using the Sonos App for Mac or PC:

1. Select Manage and Add Radio Station.
  2. Paste in the streaming URL of the station you wish to add and type in the name of the station.
  3. From the Sonos music menu, navigate to Radio by TuneIn > My Radio Stations where the newly added station will be listed.
    • On a Mac, the “Manage” menu can be found in the toolbar in the top left corner of the screen. On a PC, the “Manage” menu is found at the top left of the Sonos application.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.