How to connect my Sonos connect to mac mini and play sound on my 4 connected play:3

• 21 January 2024
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi all, i have a question regarding my just bought Sonos Connect Zoneplayer ZP90,  i want to connect this device to my Mac mini using the 3,5 audio output on this device.  I checked and upgraded firmware of this Sonos Connect ( S1 ).  I have four Play:3 speakers compatible with S1 controller.  I setup this system via de IOS S1 app and everything is working perfectly using my iPhone and app. But when i connect the Connect with my Mac mini using a suitable audio cable , it does not work 😞   No sound output at all.  What am i doing wrong or what must i do to make this work?    My goal is the 4 play:3 speakers working om my mac.  So i can adjust volume and so using my keyboard volume buttons

Who is willing to help me out in this?

Much appreciated 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The obvious first check is a different cable, and then a different device on line-in to ensure the ZP is functioning, and a different speaker on the output from the Mac. 
If you’ve already tried this, what else have you tried?

Thanks for reply, The audio cable  is new from the store. The strange thing is with the S1 app and music selected from my iPhone it works instantly, Also connected to a windows laptop with 3,5 audio output it is not working.  ?? So problem is only with cable connection connected to windows or mac laptop/desktop. Do  i need to configure something on de Sonos connect ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So if I understand you correctly, streaming is ok, but aux input is not.
Have you selected that line-in as your source? If so, it might be that there’s a fault with the input on the ZonePlayer. It is quite an old device: where did you buy it? Can you check with the seller to be sure it was working?

You may need to ‘fix’ the output from your Windows Laptop, to make sure it is working. Try connecting a set of regular headphones to it to make sure it’s putting out a signal. When it is, set it to roughly 50% loudness in order for the Sonos line in to pick it up. 

Thank you for the input. I will contact the seller.