Answered

How do I remove a Boost? (Network is fine, Boost still showing in app)

• 27 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have various Sonos equipment setup in eight rooms in my home and have been using it with a Boost and Amp wired (SonosNet) for a few years.  It’s good 99% of the time, but when I try to group more than 5 rooms I get a lot of drop-outs.  I have a great Eero mesh system in my home and since the new Era speakers don’t support SonosNet I thought -- why not try it without SonosNet?

I used the Sonos App (S2) to add a trusted network, and that process prompted me to unplug the network cable from the Amp.  Eventually I got everything switched over to WiFi -- not as smooth as I had hoped, but it got done.  I powered down the Boost (completely disconnected and unplugged) and everything is working great -- better than before, I can group all of my rooms with no drop-outs, it’s more responsive, etc.  

However...in in the Sonos App I still see the Boost!  On the Systems “tab” is shows it with the dreaded “blue dot” / Updating message.  In Settings it also shows that, and when I do “About My System” the Boost shows there too with “Status: Updating”

Everything is running v15.1.1, including the app.  This appears to be cosmetic because everything is functioning great.  But this is highly annoying.  How do I get rid of this?

icon

Best answer by SarahN 27 March 2023, 18:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

A few minutes after I posted this my system updated (app and speakers) to 15.2.  No change in behavior -- I still see “boost updating” as described above.

Userlevel 7

Try logging out of the app. Delete the app. Download it again, join an existing system and sign in again. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I recently gave my daughter one of my Roams and after I had factory re-set it, I was able to essentially hide it from my system.

Cannot quite remember how I did it though haha - maybe someone else can advise and maybe you need to factory re-set it to hide it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@AjTrek1 that didn’t work (didn’t think it would, but didn’t hurt to try).

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I tried reattaching the Boost to allow it to update to 15.2.  Then after the update I disconnected it again.  Now the app shows that the Boost is “not connected” with a red dot.  This is an improvement and I’m guessing the “correct” behavior.  When I click on the Boost in the app I have an option to “hide” it.  I didn’t do that because I want to REMOVE it.  Worried that “hide” will just hide the problem LOL.

A factory reset is moot -- it’s totally powered down, but my “system” (the Sonos hive mind) still thinks that it’s part of it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I tried reattaching the Boost to allow it to update to 15.2.  Then after the update I disconnected it again.  Now the app shows that the Boost is “not connected” with a red dot.  This is an improvement and I’m guessing the “correct” behavior.  When I click on the Boost in the app I have an option to “hide” it.  I didn’t do that because I want to REMOVE it.  Worried that “hide” will just hide the problem LOL.

A factory reset is moot -- it’s totally powered down, but my “system” (the Sonos hive mind) still thinks that it’s part of it.

I think if you hide it then it won’t show up under the ‘About my system’ list so maybe that is the best option for now? It will essentially not show in the app for you then

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@SarahN So I did “hide” and it did remove it from the app (yay!).  But I’m just slightly uneasy that my system still “knows” about it.  I’ll just have to get over that.