Answered

Help with 4.1 living room and outdoor room

• 22 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I am planning on the following setup and had some questions on the in ceiling and in wall speakers

Living Room - 4.1 surround system (virtual center channel)

• 2 in wall speakers on TV wall (can these be mounted sideways?)
  • 2 rear in ceiling speakers
  • I believe I need 2 amps for this (1 for in walls, and 1 for in ceiling surrounds

Outdoor Room

• 2 in ceiling speakers
  • 1 amp
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 May 2023, 22:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

The two in-wall speakers could be mounted horizontally but this is not ideal. The speakers are typically designed to be mounted vertically for proper stereo imaging and optimum sound.

Yes, you need two Amps for the living room setup… one Amp to power the two in-wall speakers and one Amp to power the two in-ceiling speakers.

The outdoor room only requires one Amp.

We have a few Sonos speakers in various rooms around our house currently but would like to add a few more into our new extension which is being built now. I have a few questions. I gather I will need to invest in an Amp if I want Ceiling Speakers, is that correct? The kitchen is around 8m x 8m (25ft x 25ft) which is a reasonably big space. Would 2 ceiling speakers coupled with an arc (under the mounted tv) all be connected to the Amp or is the amp just for the ceiling speakers? Are ceiling speakers voice activated or is the Amp?  Typically where is the Amp positioned in a room - is it hidden or can people use it to control the music, turn on / off their music etc? Many thanks, James

We have a few Sonos speakers in various rooms around our house currently but would like to add a few more into our new extension which is being built now. I have a few questions. I gather I will need to invest in an Amp if I want Ceiling Speakers, is that correct? The kitchen is around 8m x 8m (25ft x 25ft) which is a reasonably big space. Would 2 ceiling speakers coupled with an arc (under the mounted tv) all be connected to the Amp or is the amp just for the ceiling speakers? Are ceiling speakers voice activated or is the Amp?  Typically where is the Amp positioned in a room - is it hidden or can people use it to control the music, turn on / off their music etc? Many thanks, James

You will need an amp to power ceiling speakers, correct. An amp can be used to power 2 or 4 speakers.

I would not recommend using an amp/ceiling speakers with an Arc.  The Arc is built for atmos TV and music, which doesn’t really work ideally with ceiling speakers.  Is the mounted TV actually in the kitchen space? Do you plan to use the space primarily for TV or music?

Niether the passive ceiling speakers or amp have microphones built into them.  You can use a Amazon echo device or Google Assistant device to control the speakers though.  You can also use a Sonos speaker with mic buillt in for sonos voice control, but you will need to specify the sonos room name every time, if that makes sense.

I think people typically hide the amp, but they do have hard buttons on them for basic control if you want to do that.  Since you are having an extension built, it might be ideal to have the amp stored in a cabinent that hides the amp, yet still convenient to get to.

Danny this is great feedback and much appreciated. Yes the TV is wall mounted at one end of the kitchen - it will be for watching sports games or whatever. I thought the ceiling speakers would be useful as they are hidden, but I can see no other reason for the Amp as we don’t have any other wired speakers to connect so maybe I am better off just buying alternative speakers? I guess the other models will all need to be mounted on the walls. What would you recommend?

Danny this is great feedback and much appreciated. Yes the TV is wall mounted at one end of the kitchen - it will be for watching sports games or whatever. I thought the ceiling speakers would be useful as they are hidden, but I can see no other reason for the Amp as we don’t have any other wired speakers to connect so maybe I am better off just buying alternative speakers? I guess the other models will all need to be mounted on the walls. What would you recommend?