Question

HDMI Input Sonos AMP, No Sound

• 11 June 2024
  • 2 replies

I’m a Sonos novice.

Using a setup with three zones.  That part seems to be working fine.

However, I’d like to add one non-standard setup through the HDMI AMP input (RCA already works for this setup, but 75ms latency is too long, so not an option).  I’ve seen the digital/HDMI input is supposed to be much lower latency.

I want to be able to speak/sing into a microphone and have it amplified through that HDMI input.  Not loud, just maybe 70-75db range.  

I connect a microphone to a Zoom U44.  Then I take its optical output, use the Sonos optical to HDMI converter (with an additional HDMI 2.1 cable) and go into the Sonos AMP.  Getting no sound, unfortunately.

I believe the Zoom is outputting audio when trying this method because when I connect it’s digital output to an entirely different system it’s working fine.

I know this idea may seem like more trouble than it’s worth, but would like to be able to test out and find out for myself if this can do what I’m hoping for.

If you have additional ideas on how to get a setup working for non-television audio in through AMP’s HDMI input, please let me know.  Open to other mixer ideas, analog to digital converters, etc...

Thank you

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BrianAlexRahilly 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I can’t make any promises, but I believe your setup would work, if it were not for an issue that is currently affecting Sonos devices utilising an optical input.

As you have discovered, Sonos systems are generally not good for Karaoke due to the 75ms line-in delay you mentioned, which cannot be skirted (it’s there so we can synchronise play over the network). But, using the HDMI input on your Amp may well avoid this issue for you. You will need to ensure that the Zoom U44 does not output higher than 48KHz sampling frequency, and that it’s using either 16 or 24 bit depth. PCM stereo output is also advised. The good news is that it looks like this Zoom U44 device is fairly configurable.

I will tag this thread with the tracker for the optical input issue - we’ll update you once a fix has been implemented.

I hope this helps.

Hi @BrianAlexRahilly 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I can’t make any promises, but I believe your setup would work, if it were not for an issue that is currently affecting Sonos devices utilising an optical input.

As you have discovered, Sonos systems are generally not good for Karaoke due to the 75ms line-in delay you mentioned, which cannot be skirted (it’s there so we can synchronise play over the network). But, using the HDMI input on your Amp may well avoid this issue for you. You will need to ensure that the Zoom U44 does not output higher than 48KHz sampling frequency, and that it’s using either 16 or 24 bit depth. PCM stereo output is also advised. The good news is that it looks like this Zoom U44 device is fairly configurable.

I will tag this thread with the tracker for the optical input issue - we’ll update you once a fix has been implemented.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much, Corry