Answered

Guest use forcing upgrade

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi- when i log into the app/find the Sonos system on the wifi at a vacation home (not my account/home) it forces me to “update for more features”… but I’m not the owner and don’t know their account email/password. How can i use the system without going through this step? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 6 January 2021, 21:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Rd33

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Let me share some information with you. 

The Sonos app is not actually forcing you to do the update, what you received is a notification or reminder that there’s an available Sonos update.  You can try not to proceed with the update and continue using the Sonos app to stream music. In the event that the Sonos app is preventing you to navigate inside the app, this means that the system requires an update before you can play anything. I suggest that you coordinate with the owner so that they perform updating their Sonos system. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You could use a third party app, as they don't care about system updates.

Thanks but it does appear that it is forcing because there is no ability to say no thanks or not do the upgrade. It flashes up as soon as you open the app and doesn’t give you option to decline. I think it’s because it’s a guest system as I’m in a rental house 

Looks like an old version of the Sonos App to me - there are now S1/S2 Sonos Apps and so I would remove the current App and try one from the App Store. I would start with the S2 App and make sure you are on the same network as the Sonos devices.

It’s the s2 app. I remember when the previous apps gave you the option of not now etc. 

Thag page just has update and nothing in the more options allows you to not update and keep going past 

It’s the s2 app. I remember when the previous apps gave you the option of not now etc. 

Thag page just has update and nothing in the more options allows you to not update and keep going past 

Is it a newly downloaded S2 App, or one that was used previously with another Sonos system? - if the latter, then I would remove it (just for ease) and download the S2 App again from the App Store.

I’m not quite sure if it’s the latest version of the S2 App, as I think the new version has a slightly different screen, but it maybe because I’m using an iPad controller here.

If no luck with a fresh install of the S2 App, then perhaps try the S1 App instead… it should find the system and then you can just decline to do the firmware update… if problem still persists after that, then I would call the owner of the system, as mentioned earlier, to perhaps get the devices updated.

Rd33,

Not exactly the same, but perhaps a slightly similar situation, I have an old iPhone mobile here, which had not been updated and still has a slightly older S1 controller App that I just ‘reset’ in preferences and without signing in that connects to my ‘existing’ updated S1 household.

Screenshots attached - so not exactly the same, but it does connect and I can play to the speakers. I presume that will be the case too without the speakers being on the latest version of the firmware… sadly I can’t downgrade my system here to test that for you, but if it doesn’t work, then you will need to ask the owner to update the firmware.

edit: Sorry the screens attached didn’t upload in sequence, but those are similar to what you should see during setup/connection to the holiday system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Go install SonoPhone from the App Store. It doesnt do updates, or even care if your system is S1 or S2 or both.

Thanks all. Downloaded the S1 app and it let me open the app and just had the usual update notice at the top which I could do/not do.

I do the s2 app runs into a block when launching for first time on guest systems that need an update. 

Thanks all. Downloaded the S1 app and it let me open the app and just had the usual update notice at the top which I could do/not do.

I do the s2 app runs into a block when launching for first time on guest systems that need an update. 

Glad the S1 App has solved things and perhaps more importantly, enjoy the rest of your vacation. 👍