Answered

Grouped speakers cannot be ungroup

• 21 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Starting situation

Play:3 and One grouped, playing music. Play:3 is connected to the network through ethernet cable, One through 2.4Ghz wireless.

Action

Stopped music, unplugged One.

Problem

When plugging One back in, it directly shows up as grouped with the same Play:3 as before unplugging. The One does not play any music but the Play:3 does. When trying to ungroup, the app briefly 'thinks' and then gives an error. Unable to connect with device. Try again later.

Other info

Play:3 works as it should, both with and without being grouped with the One.
Tried power cycling devices, as well as the router.
Diagnostic info has been supplied:  980145175.

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 22 December 2020, 20:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Martijnvs

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you check the diagnostic.

The report shows all your 3 Sonos speakers and they are not grouped. However, the Sonos Play 1 is offline. Is it currently unplug from the power? Your Play 3 that is wired to your router showing 11 days uptime. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it will work for you. You may have done this already but this time, it should be done step by step.

1. Sequential reboot all your network devices and Sonos devices to the connection. 
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Check if you will see your speakers as grouped and then try to ungroup them.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless > Set it to channel 6
    • Start music playback and wait for 3 minutes before running another diagnostic.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. Please don't forget to include the confirmation numbers in your response to look into your Sonos system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

@Rowena B. Somehow I must have not cycled the power on the Play:3 while I thought I had. There was a lot of fiddling, cursing and trial & error during my initial troubleshooting.
I unplugged the 3 just now, and after plugging it back in all devices now show up separately, ungrouped. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Martijnvs, thanks for your response and for updating us. I’m glad that your Sonos system is now working again. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns about your Sonos system. We are always happy to help out.