Answered

Grouped Rooms don't start stream of music evenly

• 11 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Interested if others have experienced problems with grouping speakers and Sonosnet

I have 3 Rooms with Stereo Speakers + Sub (2 with S1+Sub, 1 with S5+sub).  Another 2 rooms with single Play 1’s.  Speakers are initially on Sonosnet via a Boost.

When I group all speakers to the S5+Sub room and Music has started, I then advance to the next song.  The S5+Sub plays new song fairly quickly, but the  2 S1+sub rooms start and stop playing intermittently.  Sometime L or R only.  After about 1-1.5min, all speakers are playing as expected in the group.  Advance to next song same problem repeats.  If I wait till the song end and then normal advance to next song, all speakers generally are in sync fairly quickly. (Diagnostic 857677570 whilst sputtering sounds (eg. L then R then ..., then no audio, then L then eventually all speakers playing), then Diagnostic 1865270988 when sound is stable - in case Sonos are watching)

Disconnect Sonos and wait till all speakers are on local WiFi.

Start a group session and manual advancing to next track works well.  Some “sputtering on S1+Sub rooms, but mostly works well.  (Diagnostic 275656568).

Shutdown Home Wifi 2.4G Radio, to ensure no other interferer for Sonosnet (Live in a rural area, with negligible WiFi interference.  Neighbours 100-150m away)

Exactly the same result on Sonosnet as described above, S1+Sub Rooms sputter for 1.5min or so before music plays evenly.

I’ve had the same configuration in house for many years, with minimal problems 2 years and longer ago.  Im sorry I can't pinpoint when this started as don't group whole house that often.

Even grouping two rooms with Sonosnet can cause some sputtering on added in rooms, with only the first room performing as expected and added room sputtering.

In summary having 11 speakers on Sonosnet with no external 2.4GHz Interferer, causes significant sputtering at start of tracks.  With Sonos Net off and all speakers on Home WiFi, then Grouped, performance is noticeably much better

Interested in other Sonos User experiences

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 April 2023, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any non WiFi 2.4 or 5 GHz radio or interference sources?

Baby monitors, security cameras, leaky microwave or just electronic gear that is spewing RF noise?

Any Sonos within 3 feet of each other or other WiFi / RF source?

Hopefully Sonos can see something in your diagnostic.

Badge +1

Any non WiFi 2.4 or 5 GHz radio or interference sources?

Baby monitors, security cameras, leaky microwave or just electronic gear that is spewing RF noise?

Any Sonos within 3 feet of each other or other WiFi / RF source?

Hopefully Sonos can see something in your diagnostic.

Thanks for suggestions

The usual intermittent interferers only.  Inverter Fridge and Inverter Microwave.  When on Sonosnet, the problems are continuous irrespective of Fridge & Microwave operation.  On home router WiFi the grouping works normally even when fridge & or microwave are operating.  My S1’s are Gen 2 hardware, S5 and 2 Subs are upgraded WiFi card units.  Have noticed since all new generation WiFi HW, then Microwave and Fridge have negligible impact on system.  

Hoping also Sonos may look.  

Only Sonos that are at 3ft/1m between Sonos units, are Subs and either L or R S1 or S5.   As problems only evident on Sonosnet, and not house WiFi not sure this is an issue but let me know if that's a wrong assumption.  All other HW is > 1m from other Sonos units and the Sonosnet boost or house WiFi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Sonos forum folks try to look at diagnostics but the forum is clunky enough they mess some, calling Support is almost always your best bet.

Badge +1

The Sonos forum folks try to look at diagnostics but the forum is clunky enough they mess some, calling Support is almost always your best bet.

Considering no other comments here, maybe I’m the only one seeing this issue.  I’ve found the Sonos Customer Care FOH is very difficult to deal with as their diagnostic skills are poor and driven by the standard responses fed to them. 

I’ve had no luck get eventual calls from Tech Support people who have good diagnostic skills.

Will try support when I feel patient.   Grouping via WiFi is working fine so will stick with that and not use Sonosnet any more