Answered

Driving mutiple, mixed speakers with a Sonos Amp

• 1 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Possible a slightly quirky setup question, but I’ll ask anyway. Apologies that this relates to my other question, but I feel it warrants a sepaarte topic.

EDIT: Please ignore! I just realised that wiring in series is not recommended, so that rules out me adding another pair as I had hoped.

I have a Sonos Amp driving a pair of Monitor Audio C180 (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/basics/c180/). These are 6 ohm. I want to add another pair of speakers at the other end of the room. The ones I am looking at are 8 ohm. Should I be able to safely drive both sets of speakers off the same amp, with the wiring being fed Amp > C180 (6 ohm) > new speakers (8 ohm) ? My knowledge around resistance etc is poor.

If the above is not recommended, would it be better if I bought 6 ohm speakers so that all four were 6 ohm?

Many thanks

Jim

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 April 2024, 22:37

View original

2 replies

Rt= (8ohm x 6ohm ) / (8ohm + 6ohm) = 48/14 = 3.43 ohms 

This is below the 4 ohms that the Sonos Amp user-manual mentions - so my thoughts are to perhaps not go down this route - you ideally need 4 x 8 ohm speakers, or you could consider using an impedance matching switch instead.

Checkout other threads here in the community for such switches, or search online at Amazon etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Once you settle on speakers look for an impedance matching speaker controller / switch.