Answered

Does Lutron Pico Smart Remote work with Sonos amp connected to non-sonos ceiling speakers?

• 21 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi - I just moved into a house that has 8 zones of speakers (not sure what brand) and Elan wall switches in each room/zone.  I want to start adding sonos amps to each set of speakers (maybe 2 sets of speakers to a zone) in some cases.

I would like to have the option to control the volume in a zone with a wall switch as well as the app.  Will the Lutron Pico Smart Remote  work with a Sonos amp connected to non-sonos ceiling speakers?

If so, can I just connect the speaker wires in the existing wall plates to each other and replace the wall receptacle with something to hold the Lutron?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 February 2024, 15:48

View original

2 replies

Yes, to pretty much all your questions.  Please note that the wall switch will continue to work when you use a Sonos amp.  It will control the volume going to the speaker, not the volume set at the amp...or what you see in the app. Using pico remotes does control the volume set at the amp.

Lutron pico remotes will require a lutron hub.  With the hub you can also create a schedule to turn on/off  Sonos (including groups) at a specific volume, along with lights if you have that setup.  I use it for my morning alarm.  I opt to just leave the remotes on tables rather than wall mount so that I can use them where I need them.  You could cover up the wall switch with a blank.

Also, it’s possible that there is some impedance matching going on with the wall switch.  You might not be able to connect the speakers directly to the amp(s) without this.  I doubt that’s the case, but something I would be aware of.

Thank you for the quick reply @melvimbe !!