Answered

Distortion Sonos Amp, Technics SL1200M7L, Ortofon Concorde MKII cartridge, Pro-JECT Phono Box. Dali Oberon 3 Bookshelf

Badge

not sure what I am doing wrong here

this is my setup

Technics SL120M7L turntable with Ortofon Concorde MKII cartridge

connected to a Project Phono Box (grounded)

then connected to the Sonos AMP

Dali Oberon 3 Bookshelf are connected to the amp

good news is when I steam Spotify to the amp the sound is incredible from the speakers

When I do line in for the turntable its low volume and distorted if I turn it up high its awful, there is an issue with the input from the SL1200 to the AMP but I cannot work out what it is…

any ideas or advise would be extremely appreciated

I “think” its the phono box but not sure does any have SL1200 setup and working with an AMP if so what are you using ?

icon

Best answer by marcander76 17 July 2023, 13:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What is the pre-amp you’re using between the turntable (phono level output) and the Sonos (line level input)?

Badge

What is the pre-amp you’re using between the turntable (phono level output) and the Sonos (line level input)?

this one

Pro-Ject Phono Box DC MM/MC Phono Preamp with Line Output

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Audio-Phono-preamp-Output/dp/B007DB5I60/ref=sr_1_2?crid=22WUUF8YXSA3Z&keywords=project+phone+box&qid=1689549918&s=electronics&sprefix=project+phon+box%2Celectronics%2C131&sr=1-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Aha, that’s your listed ‘Project Phono Box (grounded)‘ , my apologies. 

And you’ve followed the instructions in the FAQ for setting up a line in, including setting the sensitivity?

I’d be looking at the cabling between the phone and the preamp, and the preamp and the Sonos.  

But there are other experts here who may have better suggestions. 

Badge

Aha, that’s your listed ‘Project Phono Box (grounded)‘ , my apologies. 

And you’ve followed the instructions in the FAQ for setting up a line in, including setting the sensitivity?

I’d be looking at the cabling between the phone and the preamp, and the preamp and the Sonos.  

But there are other experts here who may have better suggestions. 

yes I just followed the instructions on the preamp set up still same issue

Umm, hold on, let me do a Google search. 

Here you go:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

Badge

I am getting a lot of “humming noise” even when I disconnect the technics still hum

The turntable ground wire should be connected to the ground lug on the preamp.

Use the “MM” preamp setting for that cartridge.

Fabricate a pair of “shorting plugs” from a junk RCA cable. Simply cut open the cable and twist the center conductor and outer shield together. Plug these into the preamp inputs. There should be virtually no hum at this point.

Badge

The turntable ground wire should be connected to the ground lug on the preamp.

Use the “MM” preamp setting for that cartridge.

Fabricate a pair of “shorting plugs” from a junk RCA cable. Simply cut open the cable and twist the center conductor and outer shield together. Plug these into the preamp inputs. There should be virtually no hum at this point.

appreciate the reply

The turntable ground wire should be connected to the ground lug on the preamp. DONE

Use the “MM” preamp setting for that cartridge. DONE

Fabricate a pair of “shorting plugs” from a junk RCA cable. Simply cut open the cable and twist the center conductor and outer shield together. Plug these into the preamp inputs. There should be virtually no hum at this point. THIS I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED ONCE I DO THIS HOW CAN I CONNECT THE SL1200 TO THE SONOS AMP?

The shorting plugs are just a test. When you attempt to “play” the plugs there should be silence. 

Badge

The shorting plugs are just a test. When you attempt to “play” the plugs there should be silence. 

I slept on it woke up, dismantled everything from current location moved it to a room where there is nothing going on, reconnected all and it works! something was giving an interference for the humming noise what I am not sure…. it was in close proximity to an ARC with AMP connected to my Sony TV….

There may have been a strong magnetic field near the wires, preamp, or turntable. And, there are silly things, such as plugs not fully seated in their jack. Unfortunately, you accidentally “cured" the issue with the move and didn't learn the maximum.