Skip to main content
Answered

Different parts of my system on iPhone and iPad

• 31 October 2021
  • 10 replies

I have recently changed my router and on trying to get my Sonos system back on line I cannot get all my system on either my iPad or my iPhone. I can get each unit to work but my Play One and one of my One SL’s appear on my iPhone and my other One SL and my One appear on my iPad. They all appear on my computer if I login on Sonos but I cannot get all 4 units to appear on the same app !

I’ve tried resetting the router, factory resets on each unit, deleting and reinstalling the apps and for about 5 minutes yesterday I got everything working on both iPhone and iPad but a few minutes later I got the message saying that it couldn’t find my system and then it found only two items.

I’ve done everything I can think of so any help welcome !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like you have a Mesh system that is configured incorrectly or misbehaving. What router? Also check this:

Thanks for the link to the article - I don’t have a Mesh system - just a new Sky Broadband router and a couple of Sky Q boxes. The 5GHz issue as the two newest products are on one link with the older ones on the other so I will take a look at this and see what I can do ! 
Neil

Sky Q boxes can effectively act as network extenders so I suspect that @controlav was on the right lines.

I’ve gone into the router and unticked the “Synchronise 2.4 and 5GHz” bands and created two SSID for my system - interestingly now I have all the Sonos Products on the 5GHz channel but only 5re of them visible on the 2.4GHz channel with the oldest product - my Play 1 being the one I can’t see on 2.4GHz ? 
Am I better keeping the two channels separate and linking anything that I don’t need to be on 2.4GHz to the 5GHz SSID or try synchronising again ?

I think you need a single SSID to operate Sonos in WiFi mode.

I am not familiar with the details of Sky Q boxes, but is there a setting for disabling the WiFi extender function?

Experimentally, are you able to connect one of your Sonos devices by Ethernet to your router? 

Simple solution….

Wire a speaker to your main router or purchase a Sonos Boost and wire it to the main router. Both methods create the Sonos Mesh eliminating your home WiFi from the equation for Sonos. My personal favorite is the Sonos Boost which doesn’t require tying up a Sonos speaker or other component.

Ok so I’m still having a problem and have tried, as AjTrek1 suggested, wiring one of my speakers directly into my router but I’m still getting an issue. At some times I have all speakers, at others only a selection or at the moment “unable to connect to my system” and there seems to be no logic at all to what is going on. I can play to any of my compatible speakers via Airplay and to all of them directly from Spotify but not the Sonos App ?

Any ideas welcome !

Have you looked into turning off the WiFi extender functionality in the Sky Q boxes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

SkyQ boxes are infamous, for doing a poor job of being a router, and for trashing Sonos network packets due to the MTU size.

Huge thread with some of the details here: https://community.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/SkyQ-and-Sonos-interfering-with-each-other/td-p/3589818/page/4

Thanks ! It all seems to be working again at the moment but I will look at the Sky Q boxes as well and see what I can do !