Answered

Connection of the Beam2 + Symfonisk system with a stereo receiver

• 4 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I have a Beam 2 soundbar connected to my TV via HDMI eARC and Symfonisk surround speakers. I also have a classic 2.1 setup with a Marantz PM7000N receiver in the same room. I would like to connect these two systems so that they play simultaneously (music streaming, TV playback) and can be controlled simultaneously, e.g. using the TV remote control.

Will this allow me to Sonos Port the device without delay using grouping and how would the grouping behave when playing Dolby Atmos? I am mainly interested in supporting the bass component during playback, which is missing in the Sonos system.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 4 December 2023, 15:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

For TV sources, the Port is always going to lag behind at least 70ms.  As to Atmos, an Atmos (or 5.1) TV signal will be played in stereo, with all channels (front L/C/R, surround L/R and height L/R) played in the front/surrounds/height channels.  This is going to mess up the soundstage and any directional cues.  For Atmos music, the least capable device determines the format, so the Port is going to set the source as stereo, you won’t hear Atmos music from the Beam room when grouped with the Port.

In short, you can’t cobble together a surround system by grouping in other devices/rooms.