Answered

Connect with optical out v's Port

• 28 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I currently have an older Sonos surround system .. soundbar, sub and play 3’s & 1’s. I also have a Connect that I use as a passthrough to a Pair of Devialet Phantoms (Turntable→valve phono-preamp→Connect->optical out->Devialet Phantoms).

I’ve just ordered the new Arc, Sub and Era 300 system and was about to click buy on the Port when I realised it doesn’t have an optical output :O 

I’m feeling suddenly snookered .. what can to do?

I don’t want to replace the Connect with a Devialet Arch because I’ll lose the ability to also play vinyl through the Sonos system .. not to mention the trigger automation I’ve configured from the Connect to Phantoms that makes life extremely simple.

I don’t even know how to tell what Generation my Connect is.

Kev.

icon

Best answer by ratty 28 February 2024, 12:24

View original

2 replies

I’ve just ordered the new Arc, Sub and Era 300 system and was about to click buy on the Port when I realised it doesn’t have an optical output :O 

I’m feeling suddenly snookered .. what can to do?

Get a coax-to-optical S/PDIF converter. They’re inexpensive and have no effect on sound quality.

Get a coax-to-optical S/PDIF converter. They’re inexpensive and have no effect on sound quality.

I had a quick look at such and it was because they were so cheap that I assumed they’d be poop and a bad solution!

OK .. a Port I shall order, along with an annoying little converter box I’ll have to hide somewhere ;)