Skip to main content

I just moved into a new home and it has 4 speakers.  But, looks like it only has 1 set of these wires.

Can I still connect them to Sonos Amp?

Thank you

Four speakers makes it unlikely, but depending on how they are wired it might work, how well would be the question.

Probably best to just try it and see how they work, the Amp’s protection circuitry should prevent any damage.

If you have a multi-meter it would be interesting to know the resistance / Ohms reading on the wires. It could give an insight to how they are wired.

Are there any in-wall Volume controls? They may look like dimmers.

You can use a flashlight cell to verify that the speakers are connected. At the instant you connect the wires to opposite ends of the battery, connected speakers will “pop”. You may need a listening assistant if the speakers are located in another room from the wire ends. Volume controls set at minimum will block this test.

You are only showing one pair of wires. This is not sufficient to run a stereo system. If this is to be a surround room, there should be at least four pairs of wires.

Thank you @Stanley_4  @buzz.  I don’t see any volume controls.  I am suspecting that there may be “hidden” wires somewhere.  For example, I noticed a tube where I found the pair of wires in the picture.

I will keep investigating.

Thanks again.

We don’t know who installed the speakers and wires. Sometimes it’s an electrician who is completely ignorant how audio systems work and their wiring has no chance of working or being long term reliable.

Can show a picture of the speakers

It isn’t so much the speakers, but how the wires are connected to / between them that matters.

Series, parallel or even a mix of the two are all possible and all will sound fairly different, if they will meet the Amps’ minimum requirements to work.