Question

Connect blowing woofers with thumping.

• 24 September 2020
  • 4 replies

So, using Connect for a while works great.  Then occasional thumping started coming through my amp, and blew the woofers on my beloved Definitive Tech speakers.   Isolated the problem, with new components, and it’s definitely the Connect causing the thumping - after it’s on for an hour or so, rhythmic loud thumping every 30 seconds or so. 

Running Sonos2, Spotify, all wireless, up to newish iMac / Samsung S10, running through a PrimaLuna tube amp.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Since these are far more likely to come from the Prima Luna, how have you eliminated that from the list of suspects?

The Connect puts out a line level signal that is unlikely to be the cause.

Thanks, Kumar -

It’s possible.  No thumping noticed when i run phono or mac straight into the Prima Luna amp.  But I haven’t tried swapping the amp out; I’ll try that tomorrow.

after it’s on for an hour or so, rhythmic loud thumping every 30 seconds or so. 

Be interesting to know what is the post swap scene - because the above is a pretty unique defect.

Presumably it is not in the music…! :smile:

So, it is indeed the Sonos unit.  Didn’t get to it for a bit, and (intermittent problem that it is), took a while to do the same problem with a new amp.  Looks like it happens when Sonos cuts out, Listening to music ok, music cuts, and get loud thump at times afterwards.