Answered

Connect:Amp occasionally dropping out

• 22 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I have a Connect:Amp (and Connect & Playbar ) hard wired to the network (along with a couple of Play:1s and a Move all on wifi), yet occasionally the Amp just drops off the App.  

I have tried with Wifi Enabled and Disabled on the Amp and it doesn’t seem to make any difference. 

With WiFi on, it was showing a OFDM of 7, so quite weak - despite sitting almost next to a Unifi Access Point but the Amp would appear to drop off the app even with wifi disabled.

Any ideas on what to look for to diagnose?

Thanks

Ross

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 February 2021, 10:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The WiFi enable/disable option is a longstanding and confusing labeling error by Sonos, it turns the whole radio on and off so no WiFi or wireless SonosNet available when it is off.

If you have the Connect:Amp, Connect & Playbar wired your Play:1s should be on the wireless SonosNet unless you have the radios turned off in all the wired devices.

Sitting next to another radio enabled device is not great, a meter’s distance is usually enough to reduce mutual interference. Worst case it might be a reason to disable the radio in the problem device but I’d consult with Sonos after sending in a diagnostic before taking that step.

Personally I’d assign static/reserved IP addresses to all my Sonos devices. That seems to avoid a whole range of bugs that plague some Sonos systems, yet never appear on others. Power down all, reboot the router and Controller, power back up, wired devices first.

If the problem persists run a diagnostic and submit the number to Sonos support (here works) so they can look at your internal (hidden from users) data.

Hi Stanley,

Thanks, I have given the Amp a static IP as thats been the only ‘problem’ device, but not yet seen a change in behaviour.  

I hear you re WiFi proximity, and that was why I disabled the WifI on the Amp, but the Connect I also have sitting beside both AP and Amp and has no problems!  

Its weird - Nothing has changed in my config for months, yet the Amp wants to play up!

Hey @Sonos i have submitted diagnostics 947062949

the amp dropped out entirely whilst playing music. 
pressing the play/pause button brought it back to life after a few white then orange flashes. 
It’s hardwired and on a reserved IP. 

can you help please 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WhackoJacko 

Apologies for the delay.

Thanks for posting your diagnostics. Officially, we no longer look at them here on the forums, as any advice we give as a result of looking at them is very specific to your system, which doesn’t help other community members reading up on fixing a similar issue with their systems. I did take a peek, however, and your Sonos Amp was missing from the diagnostics. 

My advice, therefore, is generic. Please try swapping the ethernet cable going to your Sonos Amp, and if that doesn’t help, plug the cable into a different ethernet socket on your router or network switch (though wiring directly to the router is advised for troubleshooting).

If you continue to have this problem after trying those steps, please get in touch with our technical support team directly, so we can do some in-depth, real-time troubleshooting with you.