Answered

Connect:Amp drops out, but only partially

Connect:Amp periodically drops out, BUT, because I can hear the same program playing through a Connect in another room, which is connected to the Connect:Amp through the SONOS network, I know there is nothing wrong with the internet connection. The Connect:Amp is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. My wired ethernet connection runs at 700+ Mb/s consistently.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 April 2024, 11:16

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

As your Connect:Amp is wired and having drops I suggest you run a diagnostic within 10 minutes of the next occurrence and post the reference ID in your next post. Afterwards call Sonos tech support to discuss the results. It may be a failing Connect:Amp or something else.

FYI, having a Sonos product wired to your router doesn’t negate possible network issues. Wiring a product sets up the SonosNet for wireless stability for your Sonos system. Even so it’s still a wireless transmission. You’re just bypassing your home networks 2.4Ghz channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you running S2 on it? There is a gigantic thread about issues with Connect:Amps having this exact problem on S2.

Just listening to Smooth Jazz channel on iHeart Radio, had a drop-out, and sent diagnostic info within 5 minutes. 

After making my initial posting, the Connect I mentioned above started acting up. It dropped out of the system and I had to manually enter it back into the home system, after several failed attempts. Don’t know if there is a connection, but I also had a problem with my One (Gen 1) when Alexa stopped working last week. The buttons still worked and I was able to restore Alexa by doing an update. Tried the same approach with current issue, but now receive the message that my “system is up to date”.

Maybe I did not explain my Connect:Amp connection correctly. It is connected by ethernet cable to a Gigabit switch in the basement, which is connected, in turn, by ethernet cable to the Comcast/Xfinity router next to it by ethernet cable, and that Comcast/Xfinity router is connected by coax to the Comcast/Xfinity hub in the street. The Connect, which just acted up, and the One (Gen 1), which acted up last week, are connected by the Sonos wireless network to each other and the Connect:Amp. This is why I thought it might be a helpful symptom that the Connect, which is connected wirelessly to the Connect:Amp for internet access, continued to play, when the Connect:Amp drops out of its own program, which is sometimes the same program.

I just connected to Sonos support and chatted with Juan. He reviewed the diagnostic and made several recommendations. Our chat was abruptly ended before I could confirm that the issue had been completely resolved and, as you might suspect, it has not been. Well, when I have another couple of hours to spend on this, I’ll try again.

Moderator edit: removed and recorded diagnostic number (identifying information)

If you are seeing this issue using the S2 app for control, this is likely to be a Sonos caused breakdown of your kit, referenced in the other thread.

So far the only solution to this that has worked is to roll back all affected kit to the S1 app.

According to how the apps describe themselves, they are S1.

In which case submit a diagnostic the next time it drops, and hail @Corry P here, quoting the diagnostic number.

Moderator edit: No, please don’t. Diagnostic numbers are identifying information and should not be posted. Just tell us a diagnostic has been submitted and we’ll find it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jimbo16 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the issue you’re having with your Connect:AMP. I’ve taken a look at your diagnostics and have determined the issue: essentially, your Connect:AMP is struggling to keep up with the demands placed upon it.

You may be able to mitigate this somewhat by adding an ethernet connection to the Connect, so that the Connect:AMP is no longer operating as the hub of the system (reboot both devices afterwards), and by ensuring that you never select the Connect:AMP first when creating a group. Disabling Crossfade and Shuffle can also help.

Frequent reboots may also help minimise the issue - doing so should prevent interruptions for a while. You could get a cheap smart-plug or timer-plug to automate this.

It’s also possible that you may not experience such issues when playing other music services - some services put more of a demand on these older players than other services.

Ultimately, however, it is likely that it is time to replace this particular unit.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all, for now, the Connect:Amp and others are behaving themselves. I will keep all your tips in mind.

Hi.   I also have problems with my Connect Amp. 
Sonos say it has reached its limit and I got an extra 15% (total30%) reduction if I send my Connect Amp to Sonos. 
The Sonosshop were I bought it  say they can repar it. 
Sonos say it is not possible?

the sonosshop contacted Sonos and Sonos Telia them it is not brocken and that it is the Sonos c2 app and the new upgrade is the problem. 
now Sonos is releasing a new upgrade in may

will this solve the problem???

The release in May is, from what I can tell, a change in the app, and not a change in the software that runs on your Sonos devices, so no, this update would not make any changes. 

Hi,  is there a possibility Sonos will do something about the problem with the Connect Amp ?

Is the problem in all of them or just a few?

Why is Sonos reling me that my Connect Amp has reached its limit instead of telling the truth that the trubble came fromme some of their updates home wrong ?

I have had mine for six years should work much longer.