Caught in a frustrating catch 22 update/system removal loop from hell

• 16 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I’ve just bought 2x S1 speakers and an Arc for my tv room. Throughout the rest of my house I have old S1 app-compatible amps and bridges etc. and an S2 compatible Sub. These all worked fine until...

I installed the S2 app on my phone  with a view to using that for the TV room.  But now I can't pair the S1 speakers because the app says it requires an update (the first speaker works ok though). When the app begins its update it fails with an error code 30 (ie it detects non-S2 compatible devices). 

Ok, so to remedy this I open up the S1 app to try and remove the S2 compatible products (the Sub) but the app says I first need to perform an update. This then gets through to the finishing up stage then gives me the error code 9 (unable to update because of S1 incompatible products being detected)… 

I’m now caught in a never-ending loop from hell and can’t set up the new S2 compatible products properly.

Any ideas before I completely lose it with Sonos (which is sad given I’ve been a huge fan for years)???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

First, by S1 speakers do you mean Sonos Ones?  S1 refers only to a Sonos operating system.

Second, is there any possibility that you have upgraded your Sub to S2 (hopefully not)?

Either way, would you be able to power off your router and all your Sonos, then power back your router. Wire one of your original Sonos devices (preferably not a Bridge) to your router.  If it isn’t practical to wire anything other than a Bridge, wire a Bridge.

Power that device (or Bridge plus device) back on.  Leave everything else powered off.

Uninstall the S1 app from your phone, and download it afresh.  Hopefully it will offer you the chance to connect to existing system.  If so, do so.  If it doesn’t ask you to update, go into the app and check for system updates.

You may get an error again, or it may work.  Either way please stop at that point and post back.

Yes I did mean Sonos Ones and not S1 as in the OS… Will try out your suggestion and report back!